Broody Hen Killing Hatchlings

Farmhouse Franny

Hatching
Jul 12, 2020
I’m a first time broody hen hatcher... I’ve read every article out there and watched every YouTube video you can imagine. But none had told me that a first time broody hen could kill her chicks as they hatch. And mine did 😢. She not a mean broody hen. She won’t peck me me when I check the eggs and would let me remove her from the nesting area I had her in (with no other hens able to get to her or the eggs). Has anyone had this happen? If so, do I give her more eggs? Do I go try to find chicks and place them with her at night? Will she keep killing her hatchlings?
Thanks for all and any advice!

I’m a first time broody hen hatcher... I’ve read every article out there and watched every YouTube video you can imagine. But none had told me that a first time broody hen could kill her chicks as they hatch. And mine did 😢. She not a mean broody hen. She won’t peck me me when I check the eggs and would let me remove her from the nesting area I had her in (with no other hens able to get to her or the eggs). Has anyone had this happen? If so, do I give her more eggs? Do I go try to find chicks and place them with her at night? Will she keep killing her hatchlings?
Thanks for all and any advice!
Some hens are baby killers. I would not give her more eggs nor chicks and would never let her sit again.

Back
Top Bottom