Broody hen left nest on day 22

Flynn’s farm

In the Brooder
May 9, 2018
Elsberry Missouri
I had a broody sitting on 8 eggs. Wednesday, I saw a crack in one of the shells and the egg was moving all over. When I got home from work, expecting a chick, I saw nothing!!!! No chick, no shell, nothing! I’m not sure, but I believe it’s one of my buff’s. Anyway, yesterday, I came home and mama was off her nest and there were only 6 eggs left, a bit of goo, and some small pieces of shell. So I scooped the remaining 6 up and put under a heat lamp until I could get and incubator, which was this afternoon. Is all hope lost? I see no signs of hatching

One hatched today!

Attachments

• DC329256-9175-4185-A75C-DA6A96CF72FC.jpeg
    DC329256-9175-4185-A75C-DA6A96CF72FC.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 10
Did any more hatch?
So Sunday was day 31, and I was like.... yeah they’re done. So I took them out one by one to find out why they didn’t hatch. The first three stopped developing and died a while ago. One from my olive egger attempted to hatch, but that shell was hard as heck to crack, even for me, and it died before it could pip. So one egg left and when I cracked it at the air cell, it frickin peeped at me!!!! I was mortified! I know you’re not supposed to assist, and I may have ruined it’s chances! So I wet the membrane and put back in the incubator. But I couldn’t stop thinking that I probably killed it,and if I help and it dies, well at least I helped! So I assisted... it had already pipped internally, scant amount of blood and I quickly placed it back in the incubator. It was super weak and I checked on it constantly. I told my husband it was probably gonna die. Well yesterday I woke up, and it’s fluffy, it’s walking, and now it’s eating and drinking!! I’m so happy I didn’t inadvertently kill it, but I never wanna have to do that again! I was a wreck!!

I had a broody sitting on 8 eggs. Wednesday, I saw a crack in one of the shells and the egg was moving all over. When I got home from work, expecting a chick, I saw nothing!!!! No chick, no shell, nothing! I’m not sure, but I believe it’s one of my buff’s. Anyway, yesterday, I came home and mama was off her nest and there were only 6 eggs left, a bit of goo, and some small pieces of shell. So I scooped the remaining 6 up and put under a heat lamp until I could get and incubator, which was this afternoon. Is all hope lost? I see no signs of hatching
Candle the eggs and look for veins

Back
Top Bottom