Broody (?) hen mystery

I'm dealing with my first broody as well. Two days ago, I noticed my SS (maybe 13 months or so) in the coop, all puffed up. I figured she was working on laying. I went back a bit later and she was still there. I ended up picking her up and putting her on the ground, outside the coop, and she just sat there, puffed up in that same spot. I ended up carrying her around for a bit and then let her go. She ran to the water and guzzled it for a while, ate a bit... Well, yesterday we had to do it all over again, but again; in the evening.
If it wasn't for the fact that I have three adolescent chicks right now already, I'd just give her an egg to hatch. That and I'm not really set up to let a broody do her thing yet. I guess I'm going to have to get a wire cage on the way home tonight. Even if she's decided not to brood by the time I get home, it'll come in handy.

I'm going to have to get a wire cage on the way home tonight. Even if she's decided not to brood by the time I get home, it'll come in handy.
Yes, yes it will!
Deck out the bottom, under the tray, with cage wire.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

I used 3 of mine last night and today, to isolate randy young cockerels and give the rest of the flock a break....then was able to sell the cockerels this morning.

Back
Top Bottom