Broody hen not giving up.

I too have, not one, but four broody hens, some broody for 2 or more months. I lost my standard rooster weeks ago to a hawk so all I have is a little banty rooster and I don't think he's servicing these big ladies. I have tried everything suggested and these girls won't quit. I've separated them for 3 or more days in a crate with a wire floor, I've put ice cubes in the nest, and I've dragged them out of the nests every chance I get. I read of something that at the time I thought was too cruel but now I told my husband we should give it a try. Dunk them in a tub of cool water and then don't let them back in the coop for the day.

Like one reader earlier said, I wish I had bought some fertile eggs because it's been way over 21 days since they started this.

:hitYou are all a bunch of braggers!!Everyone with all these broody hens. Think of all of us who would love a broody!!
lau.gif
SEND THE BROODY VIBE:gig

I have a similar problem. Egg production seemed low, so I assumed there was a hidden nest somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Well, I found it today, along with the broody hen who nearly bit my head off when I put food and water in front of her. Here's the problem: we have no rooster, so there's no way these or any other chicken eggs of mine will hatch.

Option one: I have almost-year-old geese who are very sexually active; I can try to put their eggs under her to see if they'll hatch.

Option two: I have a friend with a few roosters; I can take some of her eggs and put them under the hen.

Option three: I can remove all of the eggs, close off the area, and do any number of the suggestions already offered.

Option four: I can leave her sitting until some day-olds that I ordered arrive, and let my Rhode Island Red think she hatched some Silver Polish.

What is the least offensive (to the chicken) option? Help!

you need a place to put your setting hens where there isn't a nest or eggs , a total change of scenery. Give her food and water. It will still take several days for the hormones to subside that causes this.

I had a little broody hen who set for 6 weeks and then I broke down and gave her a couple of day olds. I've become hardened since those days and just let my broodies ride it out now. (I make sure they are eating, drinking and pooping!)
tongue.png

Quote:
The next day she was back on the nest. I think she was just off to eat and drink. As I type she is still sitting tight.
Hopefully, she will soon give up - I don't want her to give anyone else any ideas.

Back
Top Bottom