Broody Hen problem

2 days isn't very long at all, 3 days would be considered average if you catch them early.

You also need to stop letting her out, completely. Until she stops showing broody behavior she stays in the cage - no she shouldn't even be on the roost at night since the cage is in the coop. All letting her out does is extend out how long this will take.
but even when she's in the cage she will still try and sit on invisible eggs. She doesn't stand up in the cage she sits down in the cage

Having a broody when you aren't interested in hatching is very frustrating 🙃
Don't know if you have the time, but during summer I collected my broody in the morning and carried her around for a while then collected eggs from other two hens once they had laid, and closed up the coop for the day, putting my broody in the run with others again.
Also gave them loads of distractions: straw bale to dig through and spread, dug a big hole in run & left them to spread the mound, moved things around in the run, added more perches/places to explore/hide.
Yeah, bit harder in cold weather though.

Good luck with the broody jail. I have one ready here for spring/summer if needed too. Hope it works for you!

Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.
Do you think a dog kennel would be sufficient to break my hen of being broody within 48 hours or would it take longer?

Back
Top Bottom