Broody Hen problem

So today I did this. I hope it helps. I'm going to clean it out every day and just put a blockade in the coop door while cleaning out the cage. Then stick her back in. I just tucked both of them in for the night (I ran out to check on them and close the run) and I saw Poncho outside the cage on the roost and Bloom trying to sit on invisible eggs in the cage. Ugh. I'm doing the best I can. Hopefully she'll be back to normal soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20210122_170651308.jpg
    IMG_20210122_170651308.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 11
I live in Michigan where there's snow this time of year. I don't have a coop big enough to put a dog crate in and my sheds don't have space either. Would it be bad to leave her locked up in a dog crate outside with food and water for a few days?

So do you guys recommend that I get a dog cage and put her in it with food and water (possibly a stick for roosting on at night) and then covering like the top and two sides of the cage with a thick tarp and keeping her inside the cage in the run?

I'm getting a dog crate from my sister tomorrow. Then I will buy a cover to cover at least part of it. For now I'm blocking the coop door and forcing them both to be outside until the sun goes down

I'm getting a dog crate from my sister tomorrow. Then I will buy a cover to cover at least part of it. For now I'm blocking the coop door and forcing them both to be outside until the sun goes down
Is the other one laying?

Doesn't look like they have any shelter out in the run?

Thought I would give an update on my broody hen who is still broody 😒. I can't seem to break it. I kept her in jail for 2 days (in a cage in the coop) and put her on the roost sometimes at night. I also let her outside after a few days and she tries to sit in the ground. she'll always go right to the nesting box within 45 minutes. I wonder if I should distract her more? Give her more treats? It's just really hard to distract her because it's winter time.

Back
Top Bottom