Broody hen question.

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hello all,
I think we have a broody at home, lol! She just started laying about a month ago. =]
We take eggs everyday.
We put a tiny frizzle egg in there today (from another new layer). Tonight my daughter said it looks like she's broody, still in nest, when you put your hand in she raises her hackles a bit, tries to peck.
Anyway,
I have eggs coming in mail, they maybe here about tuesday.
Do you think I would be able to put them under her?

I'd rather her hatch them since I don't have great luck. maybe 50% or less....(use a 1588 with turner.)
Will she accept them or will it be too late to add them?>

She only has one frizzle egg now. If the frizzle lays again tomorrow we will add it to her.
I only have one next in this pen, will she let the others lay in there tomorrow or will they have to find another place?

Thanks for all suggestions and advice!
Angela

It would be best to put all the eggs you want her to hatch under her at the same time. I often put 3 or 4 golf balls under a broody hen to keep her interented until I have a clutch of eggs ready to set. If your Frizzle has just started to lay the eggs are probably very small & are unlikely to hatch anyway. Your best bet would be to let her use the Frizzle eggs as place holders and set the eggs you bought when they arrive.

Hi,
Thanks!
the eggs we bought will probably be here around tues/wed? Hope she's still broody then, should be anyway right?
Should I candle frizzles when I take them out to see if they are growing before discarding?

Thanks,
She's so cute in there!
Angela

Back
Top Bottom