Broody Hen Thread!

Hatching Hens are No Problem and No worry for me. If I had enough of them going broody I would sell my Incubators. Last season I had 33 sets----some hens went broody 2/3 times during the season. Over 250 chicks hatched, I do not remember not one fertile egg that did not hatch, and every egg hatched usually in a 24/30 hr time period. No hen left any unhatched fertile egg(I do not candle their eggs for fertility till after they leave the nest).

Set your Hens just Like you would your Incubator----collect and set all fresh eggs under the broody at the same time, just like you would your incubator. DON'T add eggs or allow eggs to be added after the set day to your incubator or broody. This means for a broody----you either got to mark all the set eggs and remove any fresh layed eggs daily OR move your broody to a private place or fix her nest where no other hens can get into the nest.

Here is the way I look at it------we can go spend $100 + on a incubator and turner-----why not invest Less than that to make a broody pen---then when you get a broody---place her in the broody pen(properly)-----she will automatically turn the eggs, keep the temp and the humidity perfect through-out the whole 21 days----A Perfect incubator----not a worry in the world. Here is one of my broody pens----cost less than $100 to make----will house 4 broodies at the same time, but separately..

I've never done that, but that's an awesome setup. I have 4 silkies fighting over 3 boxes right now. That would be perfect.
Great, something else to build
barnie.gif

Hatching Hens are No Problem and No worry for me. If I had enough of them going broody I would sell my Incubators. Last season I had 33 sets----some hens went broody 2/3 times during the season. Over 250 chicks hatched, I do not remember not one fertile egg that did not hatch, and every egg hatched usually in a 24/30 hr time period. No hen left any unhatched fertile egg(I do not candle their eggs for fertility till after they leave the nest).

Set your Hens just Like you would your Incubator----collect and set all fresh eggs under the broody at the same time, just like you would your incubator. DON'T add eggs or allow eggs to be added after the set day to your incubator or broody. This means for a broody----you either got to mark all the set eggs and remove any fresh layed eggs daily OR move your broody to a private place or fix her nest where no other hens can get into the nest.

Here is the way I look at it------we can go spend $100 + on a incubator and turner-----why not invest Less than that to make a broody pen---then when you get a broody---place her in the broody pen(properly)-----she will automatically turn the eggs, keep the temp and the humidity perfect through-out the whole 21 days----A Perfect incubator----not a worry in the world. Here is one of my broody pens----cost less than $100 to make----will house 4 broodies at the same time, but separately(has 4 sections)..

This is a brilliant plan !!!

Hmmm. I hope I did this right. Since then, I have left her completely alone. so it is possible some other girls have slipped in a few eggs. Anything NOT blue or white has been added late. I won't let her wait for those to hatch.
Question, are you going to just let the Extra eggs that possibly have been slipped in over the 3 weeks period-----just die----You said "I won't let her wait for those to hatch"?? If they are fertile eggs---there is a Life in those eggs too!

3 of my eggs have hatched!!!! All from the same green egg laying hen and out of the same Welsummer roo. The eggs r hatching 1 day early unless I messed up the dates which is really possible... And if I feather sexed right there is 1 cockerel and 1 pullet and the newest is still to wet to check...

Last edited:
3 of my eggs have hatched!!!! All from the same green egg laying hen and out of the same Welsummer roo. The eggs r hatching 1 day early unless I messed up the dates which is really possible... And if I feather sexed right there is 1 cockerel and 1 pullet and the newest is still to wet to check...
That's awesome you had a 100% hatch !!! I am still at work I wonder how many of my eggs hatched. I am getting really anxious.

Question, are you going to just let the Extra eggs that possibly have been slipped in over the 3 weeks period-----just die----You said "I won't let her wait for those to hatch"?? If they are fertile eggs---there is a Life in those eggs too!
What I would do is fire up the bator and complete the hatch that way. But my bator is so unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom