Broody hen

18-20 eggs seems to be the number they are usually aiming for. I have a broody bourbon red right now. She started sitting on a mixed breed clutch with turkey and chicken eggs. Then the neighbor two doors down found a nest of my other hen in her flower bed. I ended up taking the mixed clutch and put it in my incubator. Then grabbed the eggs down the road and put them under my broody BR hen. She now happily sits in a crate with 19 eggs, all the same hatch date. The incubator currently holds 19 turkey eggs( 12 bourbon red, 7 midget eggs white I bought at a swap) and 8 or so brown, green and cream colored chicken eggs.

18-20 eggs seems to be the number they are usually aiming for. I have a broody bourbon red right now. She started sitting on a mixed breed clutch with turkey and chicken eggs. Then the neighbor two doors down found a nest of my other hen in her flower bed. I ended up taking the mixed clutch and put it in my incubator. Then grabbed the eggs down the road and put them under my broody BR hen. She now happily sits in a crate with 19 eggs, all the same hatch date. The incubator currently holds 19 turkey eggs( 12 bourbon red, 7 midget eggs white I bought at a swap) and 8 or so brown, green and cream colored chicken eggs.
Sounds like my poor little incubator. Have 12 Turkey eggs (mixes of royal palm and bronze) 3 duck eggs (barnyard mixes. Was given eggs to eat and was seeing if fertile. ) 3 chicken eggs (2 of my newish rooster that just started breeding and 1 of my friends) and a old English game hen that I'm humoring her since she saw her Turkey trying to breed it. (The Turkey was not putting any weight on the little chicken and did not hurt her)

Sounds like my poor little incubator. Have 12 Turkey eggs (mixes of royal palm and bronze) 3 duck eggs (barnyard mixes. Was given eggs to eat and was seeing if fertile. ) 3 chicken eggs (2 of my newish rooster that just started breeding and 1 of my friends) and a old English game hen that I'm humoring her since she saw her Turkey trying to breed it. (The Turkey was not putting any weight on the little chicken and did not hurt her)
There have been eggs that have been from Artificial Insemination between chickens and turkeys attempted. There are no living offspring. It does not work. To the best of my knowledge, the only successful breedings have been between different varieties of turkeys and the Ocellated turkey.

I
There have been eggs that have been from Artificial Insemination between chickens and turkeys attempted. There are no living offspring. It does not work. To the best of my knowledge, the only successful breedings have been between different varieties of turkeys and the Ocellated turkey.
I figured, I was mostly just humoring her

View attachment 1752567
My husband already has the next set of eggs lined up. Once everything is hatched and the bator disinfected he wants 5 dozen jumbo quail eggs in there. What incubator are you using? Mine is a off brand Chinese model with turner and forced air. *Pic taken before I added the chicken eggs

Dont have a pic of mine, but it's this one. I hand turn my eggs 4-7 times a day. So far with this method I've had a 98% hatch rate. (Had a malformed or twin duck eggs ) people are surprised how many eggs fit if you hand turn cause normally only fits 9 large chicken eggs with turner

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190426-064934_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190426-064934_Chrome.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1
Dont have a pic of mine, but it's this one. I hand turn my eggs 4-7 times a day. So far with this method I've had a 98% hatch rate. (Had a malformed or twin duck eggs ) people are surprised how many eggs fit if you hand turn cause normally only fits 9 large chicken eggs with turner
I thought about that one. But I need to be able to hatch 30 something regular size eggs or up to 80 quail eggs.

Back
Top Bottom