Broody hen

Luieunited

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2020
One of my Silkies has gone broody. This would be great if I were looking to grow my flock. She's a stubborn one, she'll sit in an empty nest. I've isolated her, keeping her away from the nesting boxes. How long is this brooding going to last?

One of my Silkies has gone broody. This would be great if I were looking to grow my flock. She's a stubborn one, she'll sit in an empty nest. I've isolated her, keeping her away from the nesting boxes. How long is this brooding going to last?
I've personally seen anywhere from 3-7days. Be patient! (If you're trying to break her broody mode.)
Silkies are known to be very broody.

I've personally seen anywhere from 3-7days. Be patient! (If you're trying to break her broody mode.)
Silkies are known to be very broody.
Thank you. I have two. They're the same age. One, the broody one started laying a month ago, the other hasn't started laying. Never had Silkies, now I know what to expect.

Thank you. I have two. They're the same age. One, the broody one started laying a month ago, the other hasn't started laying. Never had Silkies, now I know what to expect.
I've only ever had silkie Roos before, so I don't know how the hens are. But I hope you enjoy them!😊

3-7 days?? I have an Orpington, not yet a year old who has been broody for over 2 weeks now! She will not willingly come out of the nesting box, so every day, twice a day, I'm hauling her out so she'll eat and get some exercise. No chance of the golf balls or the other hens' eggs hatching as we don't have a rooster. What can I do? She's losing weight and has plucked all the down off her breast to make a lovely nest. I don't need more chickens, but should I consider finding a fertile egg or two to let her hatch so she'll go back to normal?

3-7 days?? I have an Orpington, not yet a year old who has been broody for over 2 weeks now! She will not willingly come out of the nesting box, so every day, twice a day, I'm hauling her out so she'll eat and get some exercise. No chance of the golf balls or the other hens' eggs hatching as we don't have a rooster. What can I do? She's losing weight and has plucked all the down off her breast to make a lovely nest. I don't need more chickens, but should I consider finding a fertile egg or two to let her hatch so she'll go back to normal?

I separated my Silkie from the flock and kept her out of the nesting box, three days did the trick. If you can put her in a crate away from the others. As long as she has access to the nest she'll remain broody. Mine was even sitting in an empty nest.

3-7 days?? I have an Orpington, not yet a year old who has been broody for over 2 weeks now! She will not willingly come out of the nesting box, so every day, twice a day, I'm hauling her out so she'll eat and get some exercise. No chance of the golf balls or the other hens' eggs hatching as we don't have a rooster. What can I do? She's losing weight and has plucked all the down off her breast to make a lovely nest. I don't need more chickens, but should I consider finding a fertile egg or two to let her hatch so she'll
I separated my Silkie from the flock and kept her out of the nesting box, three days did the trick. If you can put her in a crate away from the others. As long as she has access to the nest she'll remain broody. Mine was even sitting in an empty nest.
I may try that. I just requested a couple of day old chicks so if she accepts them I may let her raise them. We'll see how it goes and if the chicks come through!

I'm sorry, I had the impression you had her separate and away from her chosen nest. (Usually in a crate or cage away from the coop or nest). She will not stop being Broody if she is still at the nest.. Which in this case, could be up to 3 weeks or so? Breaking a Broody hen has worked for me by completely separating her from the coop via cage or crate, and wait 3-7days.
Then again, I'm unfamiliar with Silkies, but if you tried this and it hasn't worked, then maybe let her finish the week or so, and see if shes back to normal. Silkies are known to be very broody, but not sure how.
Edit: sorry I thought I was replying to OP. But as said, separation is best to break a broody in my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Last edited:
Glad to hear this!

Back
Top Bottom