Layla_Chickens

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2024
I while back I posted about my broody hen and how she was so eager to hatch. Since that day she has still been broody and I have no Idea what to do. I have taken her eggs then have let her laid them, i've separated her then put her back, I've even hand fed her in fear that she'll starve. She does come out her nesting box to eat and drink, but when you feel her crop its not as full as it should be. She's my nicest hen and is a silkie and gamefowl mix (i know pretty weird) Is there ANYTHING else I can do? its been months and she still doesn't give up.

I have also noticed she has lost feather on her head and her neck, I have no idea how they just disappeared.( she does live with 2 other hens and a possible rooster, but they are so calm I doubt they would ever attack her, she's the one who would.)

Thank you please help!

Attachments

• IMG_7421.jpeg
    IMG_7421.jpeg
    874.1 KB · Views: 18
Its a good idea to weigh your broody hens when they go broody and again in 21 days . This is the only way of knowing the total weight loss (Some will actually starve to death if you don't break them in a wire cage) Don't give her any bedding that makes her comfortable because its the cooling effect on her belly that breaks her.She needs special attention after you break her if you want to save her

Its a good idea to weigh your broody hens when they go broody and again in 21 days . This is the only way of knowing the total weight loss (Some will actually starve to death if you don't break them in a wire cage) Don't give her any bedding that makes her comfortable because its the cooling effect on her belly that breaks her.She needs special attention after you break her if you want to save her
If she went broody 1.5 weeks prior to your April 6 post she's been broody 47 days and counting

Back
Top Bottom