1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DESI, Mar 27, 2008.

1. DESI

DESI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2007
    I have a hen that keeps sitting on eggs.We collect them,which can be a battle,she still sits on nothing.She's rubbed a bald spot on her underside.She did this one time before,we locked her away from the nesting box for a day she stopped got very PO'd and didn't lay for a few weeks.I hate to tell her but she could sit 4ever and they aren't goanna hatch.I'm worried about her wearing more bald spots,does that happen a lot? I don't want the other girls catching on. Should I give her to someone who wants to hatch chicks?She'd be great,shes sitting on everyones.:lol:It's been a week.She only gets up if we make her.

2. speedyjones

speedyjones Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    North Carolina
    Poor girl. Sounds like she really wants to be a mommy. I didn't know this could be a potential problem so I'm interested in any answers you get.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I would let her set some golf balls. When they don't hatch, I think the hens usually just get up and go about their business on their own. Some just need to get it out of their systems. Maybe sneak some day olds under her one night and let her raise some?

4. DESI

DESI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2007
    I was wondering about that,do you think she would take to them and protect them from the others?How will the others react?

5. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Shoot give her a couple of eggs to set on, if they are fertile. I've got three broodies right now, and finally left eggs under them. A couple more weeks and should have some new babies.

6. myfeatherbabies

myfeatherbabies New Egg

Nov 20, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have that same problem with a game chicken but she
    wasn't a good mom she killed them, and still is sitting
    on nothing, I think i will put some golf balls under her
    like someone else did.

That very intersting let us know what happens with your hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by