Broody hens

Hi,
I have four hens that all go broody every year, they are all bantams....
They are Cochin, old English, Japanese and Wyandotte and have all gone broody in the last two weeks at the same time!!! :rolleyes:

After two years, I haven't had a full size hen go broody yet, maybe they are leaving that to the little ladies lol

I'm sure others will have different breeds to suggest as well!
A good broody mom is worth her weight!

Silkies & large Fowl Old English are both very good. I know someone who crossed these 2 just to produce broody hens. He says they start to cluck every time he shows them an egg.

Thanks I have 2 australorps and 1 buff brahma and they haven't gone broody scince I got them and now there about a year and a half old. Going to have to try out the cochin and the wyandottes

ok finally me austrolorp went broody and shes sitting on 5 or 6 eggs
woot.gif

My austalorp went broody today too! Yay! I have been waiting for one of my hens to want to hatch some eggs for me, my first broody. Good luck!!! Mine is sitting on 8 eggs. Keep in touch!

lol yay! I can't believe people try to breed out the broodiness. Perhaps if 4 of my 10 are broody at the same time, I might understand, but for now I am so looking forward to having my first hatch via my broody (first hatch period - no incubator either!)
big_smile.png

My goal is to keep my flock going without having to buy and raise baby chicks.

Back
Top Bottom