Broody hens

Tokajein

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
My quail hens all seem very broody, everyday when I go to collect eggs I see a female sitting on some eggs. Three of my females lay all of their eggs in the same spot(next to the ramp) while one female lays her eggs in the nesting box(she gave up on sitting on her eggs I think) Anyways though, is it normal for hens to sit on other hens eggs to try to incubate them?
When should I let them actually incubate their eggs on their own? (I am considering it seeing how broody they are)
Also if I let them hatch their own eggs, what are the pro's and con's of it?
Then the last question is, will they still be laying eggs safe to eat while they nest(like should I mark the eggs I am letting them sit on, then take any unmarked eggs?)
Sorry for all the questions, just very curious. My quail are only about nine weeks old now(laying fertile eggs) I still don't know how many females I have so far, since I started the week with two eggs a day, then three eggs, and just yesterday four eggs(don't know if I will be getting anymore eggs or not, still don't know how many females I have)

Here is a picture I took of my quail last week while I was cleaning/moving the coop(no they are not always in a dog kennel, only that one time)

Last edited:
i would think a water bowl and feed bowl would have to be set right at the front of the box in order for the quail hen to eat and drink. this way she wouldnt get mixed up with another, perhaps less broody hen if let out to eat etc...

i would think a water bowl and feed bowl would have to be set right at the front of the box in order for the quail hen to eat and drink. this way she wouldnt get mixed up with another, perhaps less broody hen if let out to eat etc...

Hmm maybe I will try that. it would be very interesting. Oh and I got six eggs today. Geez I am getting like one extra egg each day haha.

Back
Top Bottom