Broody leaving eggs

Jenngee

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2018
Ayrshire, Scotland
So we have a great wee Russian Orloff bantam hen outside. Who’s a reliable broody, right up until the end. Today, day 21. She’s been sat on 7 eggs. 6 I gave her and one she snuck in herself. 3pm today she was still on the nest. 6pm she’s up and about with only 3 chicks. She did this last time, after 5 hatched she ditched the others, they were all her own eggs and she was on 10 if I remember right. Anyway, when I noticed I checked the other eggs and they were cold, one was pipped. I brought them inside and whacked on the bator that I had just switched off this afternoon. And stick them in. I assumed the pipped egg was dead as no movement visible beak wise. So picked some shell back to be sure and decided it was definitely gone. Just as I went to put it in bin it took the slightest of breath. It’s not in the bator with a hole in it that is huge where I picked.. and still taking weak breathes. No cheeping. Is there anything I can do to help the poor sod... also any hope for the other eggs? It’s about 4oc out. Thanks

Do you know how long it has been since it pipped? Keep the membrane moist and if it's been over 24 hours, very gently peel the shell away to help it out.

I guess your hen abandons her eggs too early, normally a hen should stay on for a day or two after the initial hatch. It can't hurt to put the others in your incubator, it doesn't sound like she's going back.

Thank you. No idea how long it was pipped. It got out the hole I had picked away thinking it was dead, and is not drying off, cheeping increasingly loudly and fumbling around as normal. Great outcome. Luckily I have day olds in brooder to add it to in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom