Broody, Molting??

danaschickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 19, 2014
So one of my hens who is about a year and a half is acting sick. She will stand in one place for a long time with her eyes closed. I picked her up today and she puked water. She has been standing by the water can a lot. She started loosing feathers on her tail, then belly, and now her vent. Her skin isn't irritated at all. I don't know if she is laying or not. She has been isolating from the other girls when they are out in the yard. She is the only one who is being weird or loosing feathers as far as I can tell?? Anybody have this before?

So one of my hens who is about a year and a half is acting sick. She will stand in one place for a long time with her eyes closed. I picked her up today and she puked water. She has been standing by the water can a lot. She started loosing feathers on her tail, then belly, and now her vent. Her skin isn't irritated at all. I don't know if she is laying or not. She has been isolating from the other girls when they are out in the yard. She is the only one who is being weird or loosing feathers as far as I can tell?? Anybody have this before?

That is not a description that reads "broody" and while the bird may be molting, there is more going on than just that. What breed is this bird? Is there any discharge from her eyes, nares, beak or vent? Is she eating? What sort of droppings is she passing? After the water was expelled, did you palpate the crop area and, if so, what did you feel? Was the substance that she expelled water or a watery substance? Was there any color or odor to it? When you picked her up did you put a lot of pressure on her crop area?

Sounds like either stress from molting, or she is molting and has some sort of internal parasite. The symptoms sound rather extreme for molting stress, so I would guess she is sick. I would try to closer examine the bird until you are sure they have parasites, then deworm her.

She is loosing weight, not eating, the fluid was clear like water. I didn't smell it and I don't know about her poop. should I isolate her for a while? and I picked her up gently from around her sides. thank you.

She is loosing weight, not eating, the fluid was clear like water. I didn't smell it and I don't know about her poop. should I isolate her for a while? and I picked her up gently from around her sides. thank you.
I would get a sample of her droppings and see if there are parasites in it. You could send it to a vet. lab or do it yourself. You can look for large worms (like tapeworm) and/or look under it with a microscope.

Yes - I would isolate her in an area where I was better able to provide good supportive care. A compromised bird is often not able to maintain their body temperature well, so keeping her in an area that protects her from chilling and where you can provide her direct hydration and nutrition as well as treatment for the issue (once we sort out what it is) will be beneficial to you both.

It's also a good idea to isolate as a bird showing signs of illness/injury makes an easy target for the flock to pick at and that alone can often lead to death.

I found a mouse in my shed. And sometimes people don't put the lid on the feed bin. I was wondering if mouse droppings could cause a parasite ingestion. I didn't see any in the feed yet. But could have happen. I isolated her and she hasn't moved from the basket I put her in.

Back
Top Bottom