Broody Muscovy behaviour advice needed please

Dvt1975

Songster
May 5, 2020
I have a male and female Muscovy Bob&Pip. They share a shed.
Pip has laid about 7 eggs last week. This week she has made a feathered nest in the corner.
Pics attached.

1) she doesn’t spend a lot of time sitting on them. She’s in and out of the shed mainly out. Is this normal? Won’t they get cold?

2) she’s started making funny squeaking noises! Before she made a melodic trill. Now she’s squeaking! Does anyone know if this is okay?

Should I split the Bob from her at night? Her nest is in the corner opposite the front of the door so it’s drafty.

All advice really appreciated.
Thank you ❤️

I’ve posted pictures of the nest and also the shed so you can see the nest in relation to the door. Also a picture of Bob and Pip looking lovely 🥰
9D470EF7-4104-4B2E-A510-70ACFAE9ACFF.jpeg

Attachments

• 57E59851-AD3E-4897-BC6D-3E8B0E0A299F.jpeg
    57E59851-AD3E-4897-BC6D-3E8B0E0A299F.jpeg
    803.3 KB · Views: 4
  • E2546D0B-E6B4-4054-8FDE-23FA2166FC0A.jpeg
    E2546D0B-E6B4-4054-8FDE-23FA2166FC0A.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 52F73ECE-D428-4047-AD42-5950DFBA1FE3.jpeg
    52F73ECE-D428-4047-AD42-5950DFBA1FE3.jpeg
    915.3 KB · Views: 5
She will set when she feels it's time and has enough eggs for her. It's always the ducks decision over what humans think. But you may need to remove the drake if he trys to breed with her while she is setting. Some ducks get really grumpy and the drake is made aware advances won't be tolerated. But some don't stop the breeding and it causes issues. It's a wait and see to see how your girl will do and how the drake responds.

She will set when she feels it's time and has enough eggs for her. It's always the ducks decision over what humans think. But you may need to remove the drake if he trys to breed with her while she is setting. Some ducks get really grumpy and the drake is made aware advances won't be tolerated. But some don't stop the breeding and it causes issues. It's a wait and see to see how your girl will do and how the drake responds.
Hi. Thank you for the advice. When she sits on her eggs my drake gets lonely and comes to the front door to come inside. I don’t think he bothers her but he was trying to mate with her this morning.
I don’t think he’s forcing her away from her eggs by trying to mate but I will keep an eye out. I know he will get very lonely without her. Any advice?

I have a male and female Muscovy Bob&Pip. They share a shed.
Pip has laid about 7 eggs last week. This week she has made a feathered nest in the corner.
Pics attached.

1) she doesn’t spend a lot of time sitting on them. She’s in and out of the shed mainly out. Is this normal? Won’t they get cold?

2) she’s started making funny squeaking noises! Before she made a melodic trill. Now she’s squeaking! Does anyone know if this is okay?

Should I split the Bob from her at night? Her nest is in the corner opposite the front of the door so it’s drafty.

All advice really appreciated.
Thank you ❤️

I’ve posted pictures of the nest and also the shed so you can see the nest in relation to the door. Also a picture of Bob and Pip looking lovely 🥰 View attachment 3007725
1) It sounds like she hasn’t finished her clutch yet. Once she has, she will stay on her nest with an impressive and almost scary level of determination.

2) I call the Muscovy squeak a “peri-broody” vocalization that will be her main method of communication until laying season ends. Mine trill all winter, then start squeaking when their hormones start ramping up. The closer to broody they become, the louder and more indignant their squeaks become until it becomes quite clear that the squeak is meant in a rude “Go away! Get lost! Absolutely do NOT touch me or go near my nest or ELSE!” kind of way.

I would put her nest and eggs in a nesting box so that she, the eggs and later the ducklings have some protection against the draft. I have two old drawers and one old crate that is missing the top slat on one side as nesting boxes. The old crate is the favorite and it sometimes gets eggs in it from more than one duck!

Attachments

• 20220216_142208.jpg
    20220216_142208.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 5
You don't need to clean out anything really, just around the nest. I'd leave the male with her for now, but since he is the only other duck, he will probably need separated once they hatch or close to it. My drake doesn't bother new hatchlings, but that varies from drake to drake - you could take a wait and see approach. Muscovy are very hardy and don't need anything fancy to hatch ducklings in. They make a deep nest as is.
She will sit once she's got a big enough clutch. It does not harm the fertilized eggs for her to wait they won't start developing until she sits and stays.

Back
Top Bottom