Broody Quail hatches 6

CovidtimeQuail

Highly quailified
Nov 28, 2020
Honolulu, HI
I sold some hatching eggs a few months ago and was surprised to get a text from the buyer: the hatched hen started a new brood of her own, sitting on the eggs and successfully bringing 6 new chicks into the world. I had the chance to see them for myself. Here's the story: https://eastoahu96825.com/2023/08/28/the-birds-and-the-bees/

And here's a gif:
broody-quail-and-chicks-1x-repeat.gif

I’m surprised she had so many hatch and she stuck to it being so young. That’s fantastic. My hen’s have a horrible hatch rate compared to my incubator.
There are things you can do to improve that. one thing is to be sure that other hens witness the process. Bonus if they are young or related to the hen that is actually hatching the eggs. practice makes perfect

There are things you can do to improve that. one thing is to be sure that other hens witness the process. Bonus if they are young or related to the hen that is actually hatching the eggs. practice makes perfect
I think the largest issue I’ve had is my clutches constantly get eggs added to them. If I leave a hen with 10 eggs, the next day she has 20+, more than she can incubate.

I am hoping these birds learn from each other as well as the mama hen who hatches them. I don’t know that it’ll help, but I doubt it’ll hurt. In particular the chicks that have been raised in the aviary, those are the ones I’m really hopeful about in the future.

Back
Top Bottom