Broody question

herwitsend

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Virginia, Western Goochland
My 2 year old leghorn was showing all signs of being broody. She sat for 3 days on 10 eggs and was very mean (screaming, raising hackles and attempting to bite) when we opened the egg door of the henhouse. So, I moved her last night (in the dark) to our spare coop. She has not sat at all today. She seems very agitated and is just pacing. Did moving her break her of being broody? Will she go back to sitting? How long do I give her before I discard the eggs and put her back in the "general population"?

Being a leghorn she probably won't sit again. You never know though she might. Those birds should never be used as broodys unless you have a back up plan. Leghorns are not suppose to go broody so when they do they will probably give up after a few days.

Being a leghorn she probably won't sit again. You never know though she might. Those birds should never be used as broodys unless you have a back up plan. Leghorns are not suppose to go broody so when they do they will probably give up after a few days.
I've found really conflicting info on broody leghorns. Some people claim they don't go broody, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Looks like they rarely go broody in their first year, after that, it's more common.

I *could* put the eggs in the incubator, but I'm thinking I would rather not. If the chicks have a mama to care for them, okay, if I have to be mama, I'm not so into that right now.

Back
Top Bottom