Broody Questions

I have a question that I cant seem to find the answer to: what are the chances an egg will successfully hatch? I know that their are different variables to be accounted for, but on average what is the hatch percentage? I have a broody hen sitting on nine eggs and i am trying to decide whether to add one or two to her nest in case some dont hatch. Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

ehh.. you can always just forget pluto
wink.png

you want all the eggs to be the same age, with my first broody experiances i gave my hen one egg a day (becuse that was all i was getting at the time) and only two hatched out of the 8, and they die a few weeks after. you want to give them eggs all at one time, mark them with pencil, and every day take out the unmarked ones. that way all your chicks will hatch at once and your hen wont be stuck on the nest forever. Anyway, if your letting her keep the chicks, she will just follow the fist chicks to hatch and leave the rest of the eggs to die.

I forgot to mention this but my broody hen is a bantam. Does that make a difference for how many eggs she should be on? Right now she is on ten. I dont ever see any eggs poking out so I assume its okay but I could be wrong....

Back
Top Bottom