Broody Sebright?

Year of the Rooster

Sebright Savvy
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
West Central Ohio
I plan on getting a Golden Sebright hen and roo and I was wondering if the hen would go broody at all? I'm not trying to breed them but it would be cool to try it out. If she doesn't go broody, I'm getting silkies too then I could put the eggs under them. Pics of their broody sebrights (IF any) are appreciated.

Thanks
smile.png

hmm... that gives me weird ideas but I won't say... I was hoping mine would go broody enough that she would raise her own chicks. I thought that would like nice. Do you have a Sebright roo with her? How is his fertility? I also read that sometimes the males have fertility problems.

Sebrights belong to the non-broody breeds like Leghorns and such. but I have noticed if crossed with a breed with a nag for brooding they do make ownderful moms, I had a sebrightXgame and a SebrightXjapanese hen which were both wonderful broodies, none of their purebred sebright parents/grand parent and half siblings ever went broody.

So chance of your sebright hen hatching her own eggs are pretty slim.

Plymouth roxygal, your hens Game heritage is the cause of her broodiness, games are awesome broodies.

As to fertility it depends on the bloodline, many breeders have very closely related and inbred lines thus have poor fertility.

fancyfowl4ever,

Thats not a problem! I was just wondering
big_smile.png
. I am also getting some silkie pullets, so problem solved
wink.png

Also I am just ordering them from My Pet Chicken and since they're not really "Show Quality" should they be more fertile?

I have two Sebrights that have never been broody, but my Silkies, except one, ALWAYS are broody. I think the Silkie as backup is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom