Broody Silkie turned adoptive mother!

Okay, I’m sorry.. I would take her down from nest box when she was broody on eggs.. now, I do have her and the chicks confined to the coop part of my prefab TSC coop.. separate coop from big gals. My 4 week olds are utilizing the grass/run area during the day.. I confined her with chicks cuz I wanted her to take to them, plus the only time she is happy/calm is if she is in a nesting area. When I first gave her the chicks I had them in the grass area and all she wanted to do was go back to nest!

Now, about eating.. she does not eat the food in front of her.. I have been watching.. I can see her from house.. I was worried about her today so I took her out and put her in big pen with the other gals as I would before hoping she would eat and drink.. but that DID NOT go over well.. she freaked.. so I put her back.. I made her a scrambled egg and put water on it.. I put that right in front of her and she ate about three quarters of it.. so I feel better now that she has something in her! As for the babies.. they come out every now and then and eat and drink then run back under.. they seem happy and content.. I plan to move the 4week olds to a small pen inside big gals run.. so then I will let Nilky down with the babies in the grass part so they can run around.. but it got very chilly here so Ima wait a day or so... I hope that explains everything this time.

And little Nina did not survive the night:(.. I had a feeling.. she seemed sickly/weak the moment I brought her home.. and ever so tiny!

I’m so sorry about Nina, the sweet little thing. I can imagine how sad that was for you. You never get used to it.:hit

Babies are doing well.. mama still won’t get up though :confused:
Food and water are close so babies come out to eat and drink.. mama shows them the food.. even though they can find it on their own.. :)... as the temps warm up I may put them in grass part of coop and see how it goes..
9C8BFDF4-6861-4E11-9271-EF2B77104497.jpeg
D64B0CA1-DB37-4771-BF49-E3FC3664DD66.jpeg
C91F8563-19A9-4447-8B34-6FFCF86373DD.jpeg
3E4D4202-77FA-4A19-A667-A2467ACFDAF4.jpeg
F839AE88-F822-4E69-B90D-EB03862C08CC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom