Broody?

theguy67

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 23, 2010
I have not posted in a while and hopefully you remember me.

I have not recieved any more hens yet since he "massacare" last winter. I am down to 1 hen, but in a week or so We are going to add alot more. The breeder we bought the first batch from also lost 50 of her 100 flock so she was not able to sell any this year.

Heres the question-
I dont really want to incubate and care for chicks until I get more hens, but I dont mind if my remaining hen dose it herself since she is still laying. I see her on the eggs often, but sometimes she is out of the box. Everytime I go in there to check them they are warm, but I am not sure if she is sitting on them. There are 9 eggs total as of yesterday. How do I know they are being incubated properly? The other 2 hens I had that were also killed were great broodies even tho I did not allow them to lay on them since I incubated myself. ( dont worry the coop is now secure. You maybe wondering how I know that? After I layed wire on the floor there have been attempts by skunks,but nothing has gottem in. )

There maybe to much info here, but I just wanted to recap on what I've been working with since december.

Thanks,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you have a rooster? Your post sounds like you only have a hen.
I'm probably missing something- again
roll.png

I'm gonna guess that if she is coming off the nest often, she is not broody. My understanding is that they usually only leave the nest like one time a day.
Maybe she's just thinking about it

Imp- Good luck

Yes, acctually I have 2. I bought1 rooster and 5 hens last fall, one turned out to be a rooster ( i bought him as apullet) hes seperated tho. How do you get them to sit on the eggs? Is there anything I could do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom