Broody's Egg Tragedy :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BawGock, May 25, 2011.

1. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I had business in town last night so my daughter and hubby collected eggs from my hens last night.
    One of my BCM hens had been broody and was setting eggs in one of the laying boxes and they collected her eggs. [​IMG]
    I didn't know this until I was gathering the eggs for our eating egg customers this morning that were stored in our cold basement.
    There they were and they were due to hatch today. [​IMG] And they were clearly marked with the date but they did collect them after the sun went down so I can't blame them.
    Dang!

Carolyn

2. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    Sorry Man [​IMG]

Other than the date didnt you write an X or an O like incubators?And didnt your daughter knew about your broody?

Also did you opened them?Were they fully formed?

3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Stick them back under your broody. They might still make it if they are that close.

4. BawGock

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    I have about a hundred birds right now and our broodies are usually silkies in the barn because I can isolate them
    I usually don't use the outdoor hen house birds to set eggs and I should have let them know that.
    My daughter and hubby just didn't realize that the BCM hen was setting eggs.
    They were marked with a black sharpie marker, pretty clearly but not in the evening light I guess.

I tapped and listened, then candled and opened, they were all dead. [​IMG]

Carolyn

5. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    You were dealt a bad hand. What a shame. Were they BCM eggs that you lost, or was she hatching something else for you?

6. BawGock

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Yes, they were BCM eggs. I have been filling orders since January and I was hoping my broody could hatch some for me to keep.
    My silkies hatch 9 BCM chicks for me this week. [​IMG]

Carolyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by