Broody's Egg Tragedy :(

BawGock

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Idaho Panhandle, USA
I had business in town last night so my daughter and hubby collected eggs from my hens last night.
One of my BCM hens had been broody and was setting eggs in one of the laying boxes and they collected her eggs.
he.gif

I didn't know this until I was gathering the eggs for our eating egg customers this morning that were stored in our cold basement.
There they were and they were due to hatch today.
hit.gif
And they were clearly marked with the date but they did collect them after the sun went down so I can't blame them.
Dang!

Carolyn

Sorry Man
hugs.gif

Other than the date didnt you write an X or an O like incubators?And didnt your daughter knew about your broody?

Also did you opened them?Were they fully formed?

I have about a hundred birds right now and our broodies are usually silkies in the barn because I can isolate them
I usually don't use the outdoor hen house birds to set eggs and I should have let them know that.
My daughter and hubby just didn't realize that the BCM hen was setting eggs.
They were marked with a black sharpie marker, pretty clearly but not in the evening light I guess.

I tapped and listened, then candled and opened, they were all dead.
sad.png

Carolyn

Yes, they were BCM eggs. I have been filling orders since January and I was hoping my broody could hatch some for me to keep.
My silkies hatch 9 BCM chicks for me this week.
smile.png

Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom