Broomstick method for ducks?

Cinnamon Roll

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
Rincon, GA
I have a couple drakes to cull and I’m wondering how best to do the deed. I use the broomstick method on any chickens I cull but I read somewhere that it doesn’t work well for ducks because their legs are different.

Does anyone have any experience with the broomstick method for ducks?

I can't say if it would work or not. I have always done decapitation. I personally would never do the broomstick method. When I worked in a lab cervical dislocation was not considered as humane and required extra justification to use. The reason it was used in the lab was because the animal died slower and allowed you to more successfully harvest more delicate cells. Also if cervical dislocation is done improperly, the animal does not die.

I know this thread is old and you've probably already eaten these ducks but for anyone else thinking about this method for ducks, don't. I started out this way and it was really traumatizing. The necks didn't break, the skin split and left large areas exposed while the ducks continued on living, and I had to scramble for an alternative method after the botched broomstick method. I use tree loppers now.

Most on here keep ducks as pets you might want to go to the meat bird forum and ask.
From all I have heard and read duck's neck muscles are very strong that method may not work

I know this thread is old and you've probably already eaten these ducks but for anyone else thinking about this method for ducks, don't. I started out this way and it was really traumatizing. The necks didn't break, the skin split and left large areas exposed while the ducks continued on living, and I had to scramble for an alternative method after the botched broomstick method. I use tree loppers now.
I’m sorry that went so badly!

We ended up using a machete and I’m glad we did, the necks were a lot stronger than a chicken neck is.

Back
Top Bottom