Brown Bear encounter!

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
Out back of our neighbor/friend's house, there used to be very dense woods, filled with TALL pine trees, birch trees, etc. But then some loggers came and cut most of it down, leaving a huge field of stumps, weeds, etc.
sad.png
Then they left and haven't been back in about 2-3 years or more.
Over time, the weeds grew taller and small trees started to grow. Also, many many thorn bushes grew. Today, the field is more like a raspberry/blackberry field with tall grass and some trees starting to grow back. The only good thing about it is we have a trail that goes out there and we get to explore and eat a lot of blackberries and raspberries every year.
tongue.png

My younger brother and his friend(also our neighbor) like to drive his 4-wheeler out on the trails. Well, when it was around 9:00 PM one night, and we were all outside running around, eating s'mores, etc., my brother and his friend decided to drive out on the trails in the field. Several minutes later, they came driving back and said that they saw a bear!
ep.gif
At first I thought they were just lying to scare us or something, but after hearing the story, I started to believe him. He said that they were just driving on the trail, when the headlight shined on a HUGE full grown Brown Bear.
th.gif
If I was in that situation, I would have freaked out!
lol.png
The Brown Bear was crossing the trail and when the light shined on it, it looked over right at them. They immediately turned around and drove off. Luckily no one got hurt!
th.gif
The next day, we went out in the field and found huge bear footprints; proving that their story must have been true. I wish I would have had my camera to take pictures of the foot prints!
barnie.gif
I guess we better be more careful now that the bears have figured out that there are berries to eat in the large field.
hide.gif

Just thought I would share this story with you guys. Anyone else ever encountered a bear like this before?
Thanks for reading!

I grew up in Alaska, so I've had plenty of bear encounters. Most end with you seeing the backside of the bear as he's high-tailing it out of there.
big_smile.png

By the way, it was probably a brown black bear (they come in all colors) as grizzly bears are not found in the east. If it was a brown bear/grizzly, its mighty far from home.

mom'sfolly :

I grew up in Alaska, so I've had plenty of bear encounters. Most end with you seeing the backside of the bear as he's high-tailing it out of there.
big_smile.png

By the way, it was probably a brown black bear (they come in all colors) as grizzly bears are not found in the east. If it was a brown bear/grizzly, its mighty far from home.

Yup! Same here. Would just look at each other, and walk the other way. In Alaska you don't need to go out in the woods to see bears. They come into town, on your deck etc. All of us kids in the neighborhood used to chase them on our bikes.

Imp​

Back
Top Bottom