Brown eye discharge

Redbirdacres

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
This is my wobbly head dude/ette. Ever since this started, one of the eyes looks like this. I try to clean it but it's pretty gunky. I figured it was because they couldn't clean themselves so they're pretty dirty but it's always just been one eye. Today, peanut, the smallest of my flock, has the same thing, and only in one eye. Now I'm wondering if there's something viral/bacterial going on and if I shpuld separate them. Peanut has been bow legged for quite some time and despite supplementation, hasn't improved. Would love some input. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230605_210806.jpg
    20230605_210806.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 714
For the eye issue? Since they have all been together already I don't see a need to separate unless one is being picked on. It could be an infection or something in the eye like dust from bedding or feed or maybe just from not dunking their heads good and keeping the eyes clean. So start with rinsing the eye with saline @ruthhope can tell you how much this helped one of her ducks.
Other than the eyes and the one having the bobbing head any other symptoms? I'd try the Terramycon eye ointment first along with the rinses before going to another antibiotic. Terramycin is an antibiotic for the eyes.

Is he trying to walk and can't or trying because he is getting better from taking the liquid B Complex
So the eye discharge is in two of them, "nubby" and "peanut". Nubby continues to try to walk, stand, eats well, being treated with b complex and vit E once daily etc. Peanut has always been a little a bow legged which has progressively gotten worse despite supplementation.

"Big guy" (who I think is a girl LOL) was a little floppy and trying to move around and having a very difficult time this morning when I went to feed. Not seeing the neurological symptoms that nubby had with the wobbly heard but difficulty moving/standing. He also has some leg issues, despite supplementation but gets around better than the other two.

These three are the first "batch" that I got at TSC. The other four are all healthy, walking fine, swimming, eating etc. I noticed a little leg shaking in one of the runners but a little extra nutritional yeast and seems to be better. Those four are all 100% fine and we got those about a week later from RP Home and Harvest. The initial three all have issues. Could this be something wrong with the batch? Something they came home with? I just don't know what to do anymore! I was in a bad bad place (due to my own medical issues) yesterday and even thought it may be better to just cull them. I don't want too but I want them to be healthy and happy. I'm going to shoot a message over to my vet this morning as they are incredible with answering emails.

Yes def something going on. Rinse the eyes with a warm saline rinse then use Terramycin eye ointment on both ducks. It is the best for getting rid of infections
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323842 a recipe for saline rinse.
Terramycin can sometimes be found at feed stores and can be ordered online,

Keep up with the liquid B complex
Miss Lydia....thank you again. My "big guy" now looks to be struggle to get up and walk this morning. I'll be separating all three but do you I think I just administer some meds for this? Could this be an infection vs neurological?

Has the vet been in touch? so very sorry your having so many issues with these ducklings.

Other than treating their eyes and using the Liquid B complex I am not sure what else you can do.
I had ordered 3 Indian Runners from a hatchery back in 2019 They sent 4 -2 days after they arrived 2 died. The hatchery said shipping stress. But then A member ordered some Indian Runners from the same hatchery and they told him the order would take a while to send because they were having problems with hatching so I am wondering now if I might have gotten the 4 shipped to me that may have been from this same hatching. Out of 4 ducklings I only have 1 left. So when they are hatching so many at one time no telling what is happening with these little ones. And they don't even take time to make sure they are healthy just toss them into a box and out they go.
I hope you can get them through this. But of course you are the one that has to make that decision.
How much Liquid B complex are you giving each duckling? and what are you feeding?
Nothing yet. I'm guessing I'll hear this evening once they're done with appointments. It's really distressing to not see any improvements in them at all and now it looks like big guy may have eye discharge too! The other four are all totally fine! It's frustrating and concerning to see it all.

I have vita-jec b complex. They get 1ml per day in some scrambled egg mashed up. The feed right now is Hudson Feeds multi-flock grower. Once this bag is gone, our feed store has Mazuri Waterfowl that I will most likely switch too.

Yes def something going on. Rinse the eyes with a warm saline rinse then use Terramycin eye ointment on both ducks. It is the best for getting rid of infections
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323842 a recipe for saline rinse.
Terramycin can sometimes be found at feed stores and can be ordered online,

Keep up with the liquid B complex

For the eye issue? Since they have all been together already I don't see a need to separate unless one is being picked on. It could be an infection or something in the eye like dust from bedding or feed or maybe just from not dunking their heads well and keeping the eyes clean. So start with rinsing the eye with saline @ruthhope can tell you how much this helped one of her ducks.
Other than the eyes and the one having the bobbing head any other symptoms? I'd try the Terramycin eye ointment first along with the rinses before going to another antibiotic. Terramycin is an antibiotic for the eyes.

Is he trying to walk and can't or trying because he is getting better from taking the liquid B Complex

Has the vet been in touch? so very sorry your having so many issues with these ducklings.

Other than treating their eyes and using the Liquid B complex I am not sure what else you can do.
I had ordered 3 Indian Runners from a hatchery back in 2019 They sent 4 -2 days after they arrived 2 died. The hatchery said shipping stress. But then A member ordered some Indian Runners from the same hatchery and they told him the order would take a while to send because they were having problems with hatching so I am wondering now if I might have gotten the 4 shipped to me that may have been from this same hatching. Out of 4 ducklings I only have 1 left. So when they are hatching so many at one time no telling what is happening with these little ones. And they don't even take time to make sure they are healthy just toss them into a box and out they go.
I hope you can get them through this. But of course you are the one that has to make that decision.
How much Liquid B complex are you giving each duckling? and what are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom