Brown leghorn gender

Ahahlbeck

Hatching
May 6, 2021
I am sure this is going to sound like a stupid question to many but can somebody tell me if I am wrong for assuming this is a male brown leghorn? I’m fairly new to this bird thing so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 94654703-2A3E-489F-ACE2-18CA8BB8DE8D.jpeg
    94654703-2A3E-489F-ACE2-18CA8BB8DE8D.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 8A8A8D6E-A780-43D6-B0D2-A5C16283EF39.jpeg
    8A8A8D6E-A780-43D6-B0D2-A5C16283EF39.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 61
It’s not a stupid question! In my opinion, there is no such thing as a “stupid” question! People ask this all the time on here. I’ve asked this question a lot too! It always seems easier to guess others then to guess your son birds, from my experience. :D

Anyways, I believe you are correct, that is a cockerel.

Thank you guys for your replies! I’ve only ever had hens... we live in an area where roosters are allowed but we also treat our girls like pets. Any chance we can spend enough time with him for him to be friendly?

Thank you guys for your replies! I’ve only ever had hens... we live in an area where roosters are allowed but we also treat our girls like pets. Any chance we can spend enough time with him for him to be friendly?
Of course, but when he grows, he has an extremely high chance of being aggressive to you and (if you have any) your children and SO.

Cockerel. He may or may not be aggressive. They do go through a teenage hormone phase, but can calm down after that. Very individual. 😊

Depends on the parents for the aggressiveness. I have pullet breeder (light) and cockerel breeder (dark) brown leghorns and the line of pullet breeders usually throws out an aggressive rooster, whereas the cockerel breeders are all friendly.

Back
Top Bottom