Brown scab spots?

ranchergirl

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2023
I’ve been having issues with my pekin. She/he has a niacin deficiency that I have been treating with nutritional yeast and 1ml liquid b orally. It seems like her legs are getting really bad. Tonight while I was giving her the liquid b I found these two spots near her legs. I am fearful her legs might have broke and these are scabs from it? I am hoping someone here would tell me I am wrong. There is a vet about an hour from me that I can take if need be, but it will be crazy expensive and I’m hoping it isn’t something awful which is why I’m asking first. Thank you for the advice

Attachments

• C8A2BE46-DAC0-429B-AB82-A7F618A9F4F3.jpeg
    C8A2BE46-DAC0-429B-AB82-A7F618A9F4F3.jpeg
    519.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 6FD7A9CE-D41B-4364-AACF-BF28AB8DBB9D.jpeg
    6FD7A9CE-D41B-4364-AACF-BF28AB8DBB9D.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 5
  • AFB2DCD6-4BEC-4784-8AB2-CA9AF1FB61A0.jpeg
    AFB2DCD6-4BEC-4784-8AB2-CA9AF1FB61A0.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 4
  • ED138D94-76F6-4371-860A-3EA410ED79AE.jpeg
    ED138D94-76F6-4371-860A-3EA410ED79AE.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 4
  • DBE2F3FF-C52B-4657-BF7D-10D7FD3D8D07.jpeg
    DBE2F3FF-C52B-4657-BF7D-10D7FD3D8D07.jpeg
    588.3 KB · Views: 5
I’ve been having issues with my pekin. She/he has a niacin deficiency that I have been treating with nutritional yeast and 1ml liquid b orally. It seems like her legs are getting really bad. Tonight while I was giving her the liquid b I found these two spots near her legs. I am fearful her legs might have broke and these are scabs from it? I am hoping someone here would tell me I am wrong. There is a vet about an hour from me that I can take if need be, but it will be crazy expensive and I’m hoping it isn’t something awful which is why I’m asking first. Thank you for the advice
What does her set up look like? Could you take a photo?
It's hard to tell with her feathers so wet, but it looks like she's missing feathers
Can you get a video of her walking? I doubt that her legs are broken, but it'd be a good idea to rule out any other causes for her lameness

I’ve been having issues with my pekin. She/he has a niacin deficiency that I have been treating with nutritional yeast and 1ml liquid b orally. It seems like her legs are getting really bad. Tonight while I was giving her the liquid b I found these two spots near her legs. I am fearful her lcan she walk or are the scabs from her dragging herself. egs might have broke and these are scabs from it? I am hoping someone here would tell me I am wrong. There is a vet about an hour from me that I can take if need be, but it will be crazy expensive and I’m hoping it isn’t something awful which is why I’m asking first. Thank you for the advice
Can she walk? or are the scabs from her dragging herself.

What does her set up look like? Could you take a photo?
It's hard to tell with her feathers so wet, but it looks like she's missing feathers
Can you get a video of her walking? I doubt that her legs are broken, but it'd be a good idea to rule out any other causes for her lameness
I am currently at work, she is in a 55 gallon tote that is long enough for her to walk around, which she doesnt really. Her feathers were wet due to a bath to strengthen her legs. My friend said that her black feathers are moldy and that I should wash with dawn dish soap and that these scabs may be abscesses. I can try to get a video of her walking but she doesnt really walk, just falls over. But she is good at swimming so I have hope. Her tote gets cleaned out nightly and disinfected with oxine. I use a towel as traction underneath pine shavings

I am currently at work, she is in a 55 gallon tote that is long enough for her to walk around, which she doesnt really. Her feathers were wet due to a bath to strengthen her legs. My friend said that her black feathers are moldy and that I should wash with dawn dish soap and that these scabs may be abscesses. I can try to get a video of her walking but she doesnt really walk, just falls over. But she is good at swimming so I have hope. Her tote gets cleaned out nightly and disinfected with oxine. I use a towel as traction underneath pine shavings
The tote sounds small, can you get a picture of it?
Pekins are prone to leg problems, as they grow quickly and get pretty heavy, I'd be worried that she isn't able to exercise or keep her legs strong. That's just a thought though. I'd definitely treat her for niacin deficiency but I'd strongly suggest upgrading her enclosure.
I'm assuming she's inside, is there a reason why she can't live outside, perhaps in a pen, with other ducks? It's a lot better for their enrichment and wellbeing, and would provide more space.

The tote sounds small, can you get a picture of it?
Pekins are prone to leg problems, as they grow quickly and get pretty heavy, I'd be worried that she isn't able to exercise or keep her legs strong. That's just a thought though. I'd definitely treat her for niacin deficiency but I'd strongly suggest upgrading her enclosure.
I'm assuming she's inside, is there a reason why she can't live outside, perhaps in a pen, with other ducks? It's a lot better for their enrichment and wellbeing, and would provide more space.
She was outside with her three other friends in a huge run, as well as being able to free range and swim in the pond but it seemed like overnight ( she was getting fed brewers yeast in duck pellets before I switched to nutritional yeast) she wasnt able to walk. She would just lay around and would use her beak to push herself up. I brought her inside so that I could monitor progress, treat the niacin deficiency to her directly and a minor respiratory infection. Since the ducks are not sexually mature yet they are with my chickens and roosters while I build them their own home. I figured her bring inside would prevent the rooster or bigger hens from hurting her. I bring her outside when I am home to socialize with the other ducks but she is unable to keep up with them when they decide they dont want to be by the pond. I might be able to set up a dog crate inside the run, I just wanted to be able to monitor

She was outside with her three other friends in a huge run, as well as being able to free range and swim in the pond but it seemed like overnight ( she was getting fed brewers yeast in duck pellets before I switched to nutritional yeast) she wasnt able to walk. She would just lay around and would use her beak to push herself up. I brought her inside so that I could monitor progress, treat the niacin deficiency to her directly and a minor respiratory infection. Since the ducks are not sexually mature yet they are with my chickens and roosters while I build them their own home. I figured her bring inside would prevent the rooster or bigger hens from hurting her. I bring her outside when I am home to socialize with the other ducks but she is unable to keep up with them when they decide they dont want to be by the pond. I might be able to set up a dog crate inside the run, I just wanted to be able to monitor
That makes sense then, sorry I misunderstood the situation
Did she have any problems before this started or was it truly just overnight? How old is she?

If you feel her legs and check her feet, are there any bumps, or heat or swelling?

That makes sense then, sorry I misunderstood the situation
Did she have any problems before this started or was it truly just overnight? How old is she?

If you feel her legs and check her feet, are there any bumps, or heat or swelling?
She is about three months old. She always was niacin deficient, as I have learned is common in pekins, and I slowed progress by giving liquid b to just her water which diluted it. She used to just step on one foot and was a little knock kneed. Her walking got progressively worse until she wouldn’t walk anymore which is when I brought her inside. I’ll check for bumps, they might be a little swollen

Back
Top Bottom