BRxBO, all boys?

maryhysong

Songster
7 Years
Aug 24, 2012
Claypool, Arizona
all right I hatched 4 chicks from my barred hens and my BO roo; all hatchery stock and probably not really purebred. I've know that two were boys from about ten days old but still not sure about the other two. These hatched Nov 16 so about 8 weeks now.

A boy for sure, there are two pretty much alike

Then there are two like this, although this one has a smaller comb and wattles than the other one.

This is the other one

And three of the four together.

So maybe two girls, two boys? or just two slow growing boys?

they all look like cockerels though the one may have a chance to be a pullet but the comb and wattles are already a nice red give it a few more weeks then re-post that one

The should be sex-linked, even with hatchery stock? So the barreds are cockerels and the goldandblacks are pullets (I have noticed that this mix tends to develop quickly, including the comb, and grow very large).

Well they are turning out nicely. At three months the two white barred ones are still boys
cool.png
along with a younger brother hatched in Dec. The golden ones are girls
wee.gif
That one that was getting a red comb so quick did the rooster squat yesterday when I went to pet her. The goldies are turning out to be beautiful birds. Looking forward to pretty brown eggs in a month or two.

Well they are turning out nicely. At three months the two white barred ones are still boys
cool.png
along with a younger brother hatched in Dec. The golden ones are girls
wee.gif
That one that was getting a red comb so quick did the rooster squat yesterday when I went to pet her. The goldies are turning out to be beautiful birds. Looking forward to pretty brown eggs in a month or two.
Post some recent pictures, please. I would love to see how they turned out.

If you hatch this mix again, you can sex them at hatch. The males will have a white spot on the head, the females will have solid color heads. That's one thing I love about barred hens!

Back
Top Bottom