BS purple vs Spaulding BS purple

Trefoil

Songster
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
I was cruising the UPA site hoping to find chick (of the pea variety, so don't get too excited) pictures- very few. Anyway, unless I misunderstood, while BS purple breed true, spaulding BS purple don't. My question is- how can this be? It suggests that the color / pattern were arrived at differently and that (to me) doesn't make any sense. I realize that much of the information we have about chickens is due to the poultry industry,i.e. food, but it still stuns me that there doesn't seem to be much consensus on anything in regards to peafowl.

I was cruising the UPA site hoping to find chick (of the pea variety, so don't get too excited) pictures- very few. Anyway, unless I misunderstood, while BS purple breed true, spaulding BS purple don't. My question is- how can this be? It suggests that the color / pattern were arrived at differently and that (to me) doesn't make any sense. I realize that much of the information we have about chickens is due to the poultry industry,i.e. food, but it still stuns me that there doesn't seem to be much consensus on anything in regards to peafowl.

In what sense are they using the term "breed true"? I know most will say that NO spaldings breed true and that chicks from the same clutch can look vastly different because some will look more like greens and some will look more like the blues(in this case blue would be Purple BS). Could that be what they are saying? Other than that I cannot imagine why they would not breed true?

I realize that much of the information we have about chickens is due to the poultry industry,i.e. food, but it still stuns me that there doesn't seem to be much consensus on anything in regards to peafowl.

It seems to me that the people doing the work are still being secretive because of the quest for new colors. It takes a lot of time to do the development, good record keeping, and a devotion to the cause to share that information, but sadly most breeders want that fame for themselves for all that work and effort. There is also the fact that older folks, especially rural folks are not as computer savvy or willing to share their knowledge on the net.

The collective 'hive mentality' is a powerful tool if we can get people to share their knowledge. Getting them to share is only the first hard step, assimilating that information for the benefit for all is the hardest.

Oh, was I on a soap box? Sorry...

In what sense are they using the term "breed true"? I know most will say that NO spaldings breed true and that chicks from the same clutch can look vastly different because some will look more like greens and some will look more like the blues(in this case blue would be Purple BS). Could that be what they are saying? Other than that I cannot imagine why they would not breed true?
I too think that this is what they are saying. If you have a very nice high % spalding bs purple pair, they are saying they won't breed true as in the peachicks you get will not be as high % looking as the parents. I don't think it has anything to do with the blackshoulder or the purple in the birds, it is just the spalding portion that they are referencing to as not breeding true. That is what I would say, although aren't purples sex linked colors though? If they are, then does that count as not breeding true? I try to stay away from sex linked colors so I am not sure about all of that.

I too think that this is what they are saying. If you have a very nice high % spalding bs purple pair, they are saying they won't breed true as in the peachicks you get will not be as high % looking as the parents. I don't think it has anything to do with the blackshoulder or the purple in the birds, it is just the spalding portion that they are referencing to as not breeding true. That is what I would say, although aren't purples sex linked colors though? If they are, then does that count as not breeding true? I try to stay away from sex linked colors so I am not sure about all of that.

X2, and the sex-linked color wouldn't matter, because if both are purple(sex-linked) all offspring should be purple as well.

Okay, the information came from spalding purple, not the BS. What it said was
"This hybrid has the same color pattern as the Purple. The crest will be tighter and longer than the
Purple. The facial skin will be white with a patch of yellow. Overall body stature may resemble the
Greens, The purple tint is more pronounced than in the Purple even when not in direct sunlight.
Purple Spalding bred to Purple Spalding do not breed true due to variations in color.".

PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong, I thought I read somewhere that purple was first "found" in spalding birds. To me, that sentence (due to variations in color) makes no sense at all. If you don't get a spalding (I really like putting a u in there) purple when breeding spalding purple x spalding purple, what color do you get?
The spalding purple is the only color they say this about ( that I found, anyway).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom