Bubbles in eye

AlexEve

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
Hello
I have two 1 week old chicks. Every day I’ll take them out of the brooder to run around on my chest a bit, and when I do this they sneeze constantly and start breathing through their mouths. I’m not too concerned about this though as they barely sneeze when in the brooder, and it might just be dust kicked up outside of the brooder. However, I just had them out again when I noticed a small group of bubbles in one of my chicks eye, which I gently popped with a tissue. I haven’t seen the bubbles come back, but is she ok? Also are both of them allergic to humans or something when they run around on my chest?

I don’t know the answer, but could it be dust going in their eye? Hopefully someone comes along who know what you’re talking about!

Where did the chicks come from? I would look for something irritating their eyes and nostrils, such as fumes, dust, pollen, or bedding. Bubbles in eyes and sneezing can be signs of mycoplasma (MG) a respiratory disease of chickens and other poultry. It can be caught from a carrier or be trannsferred through hatching eggs.

Where did the chicks come from? I would look for something irritating their eyes and nostrils, such as fumes, dust, pollen, or bedding. Bubbles in eyes and sneezing can be signs of mycoplasma (MG) a respiratory disease of chickens and other poultry. It can be caught from a carrier or be trannsferred through hatching eggs.
I got them both from Rochester Hatchery in Westlock, Alberta

this is her nose. Looks like she has a big booger, should I try and take it out with tweezers?
7402475B-7AB4-4E19-9F78-345E3B3DCD59.jpeg

Drop a little saline (salt water 1/4 tsp of table salt into a cup of warm water) on a Qtip to soften it, and try to clean it off with a tissue. Try to keep the nostrils clear since they breathe through their nostrils. Have you or the chicks been around other chickens? Do they have good ventilation and fresh air in the brooder?

Drop a little saline (salt water 1/4 tsp of table salt into a cup of warm water) on a Qtip to soften it, and try to clean it off with a tissue. Try to keep the nostrils clear since they breathe through their nostrils. Have you or the chicks been around other chickens? Do they have good ventilation and fresh air in the brooder?
The booger has now flaked off, but a lump looks to be on the surface of the nare. I have been around 2 other sub adult chickens, both very healthy. The brooder has a wide open top, with plenty of ventilation

Back
Top Bottom