Bubbles in Eyes, raspy, mucus, sneezing Help with Treatment PLEASE!

J
Sorry. You are incorrect about mycoplasmas existing in soil and structures for a VERY LONG time. Mycoplasmas have no cell walls and that makes them very fragile, they can only exist in the environment about 3 days. Disinfecting and sunlight will easily kill them. Structures DO NOT have to be removed. However, I recommend that if mycoplasmas are present in a flock, infected birds should be culled and everything should be cleaned and disinfected, strict biosecurity procedures maintained. Personally, I would wait at least a few months before repopulating (without testing) due to the fact another disease(s) could be involved as well even though repopulation can be sooner with mycoplasmas. Also, if birds are infected and are survivors of the disease, then yes, it is true that stress can cause symptoms to reoccur. I agree that there could be other diseases involved. A good example would be coryza and mycoplasma gallisepticum  having almost the same symptoms and birds can have both diseases (or more diseases) at the same time. If this were the case, I'd be concerned about incubation and course times of ALL diseases involved. I would cull them all if they were my birds.
The OP isnt sure if it is a mycoplasma disease she's dealing with. It'll depend upon the results of the bloodwork. If it's strictly a mycoplasma disease, denagard will treat it. She has made it clear that she will not cull.
http://www.denagard.com/vet-poultry/diseaseproblems/en/mycoplasmas.shtml

Just relaying info. The articles refer to "long time" would be during winter months as that is when these infections are most prevalent and birds getting reinfected ...but since his is he first time I've owned chickens I'm definitely not an expert in the subject. "fomites" which are inanimate objects so structures would be waterers, feeders etc removing them and cleaning them. (Guess I should be more specific) that's why I linked the articles but maybe I read it wrong-
Been wrong before so... :) anyway just wanted to help with info sometimes takes lots of time to sift through all the articles, hope they were of some help.

J
Just relaying info. The articles refer to "long time" would be during winter months as that is when these infections are most prevalent and birds getting reinfected ...but since his is he first time I've owned chickens I'm definitely not an expert in the subject. "fomites" which are inanimate objects so structures would be waterers, feeders etc removing them and cleaning them. (Guess I should be more specific) that's why I linked the articles but maybe I read it wrong-
Been wrong before so... :) anyway just wanted to help with info sometimes takes lots of time to sift through all the articles, hope they were of some help.
well I find your research very interesting did not know their are so much creepy crowlers
hide.gif

Sally Sunshine, I hope your chickens are doing better, did you get the results back from the test kit?

I recently had 9 of 18 2-4 week old chicks die, I took the first 4 that died plus a live but sick one to the NC diagnostic vet lab for a necropsy. It was Infectious Bronchitis. The other babies seem fine. I thought this was all over last week as the deaths occurred between the 14th and 17th. All of the chicks that showed symptoms had died, some were culled as I just could not watch them suffer.

The symptoms were gasping and eventually a sort of coughing/sneezing with lethargy. We had a few hot days and at first I thought the gasping was because they got over- heated. Then they just started dying.

I noticed yesterday that in one of the layer pens I had an egg that was white with a chalky shell, I didn't think too much of it. I also noticed that the rooster who had just been in a "through the fence battle" with another roo had a foamy eye but thought it might be some sort of residual damage from the fight. He is very flighty so I didn't investigate too much further (I can't catch him unless he is on the roost and even that is not fun for either of us). This morning I noticed that another rooster was crowing strangly.... uh oh... I am slow, but I think I see a pattern emerging. I am at work so I can't run out and investigate further. BUT this has me thinking of culling. UGH!!!!! I have 25 adult birds and 8 remaining chicks (lost one because it got under the fence in with the adults - it has been a really bad month).

Dawg, Speckeled Hen and any others who have experience and have either seen or dealt with this or something similar, I could use some words of advice. I have a feeling I know what the advice is going to be, but I need to hear it anyway. Thanks. Tammy

idunno.gif
After looking at the flock again, I am not seeing any symptoms. There aren't any more white eggs... the rooster with the bubbly eye has injuries under his eye that could explain the bubbles... the crowing... well, I don't know. I am starting to feel a little nuts and paranoid. Maybe the best thing is to close the flock, take a bunch of deep breaths and (try) to relax....

I am so sorry you are going through this.

I had the same thing about a month ago.
I did duramycin injections which didn't work so well then switched to tylan 50 injections to the breast.
I culled the sick ones, trying to keep it from spreading, but it eventually went to everyone.
The others that were exposed would be carriers so I couldn't give away or add any birds.
It was ridiculously hard (especially because my husband is on a mini-deployment and I still haven't spoken to him), but I had to cull everyone.
And my chickens are my babies! We had a pet dog who killed one of mine once and the dog was gone that day, my chickens are my pets.

What convinced me to cull everyone was people explained even if I had a CLOSED flock, I could still be indangering others whether airborne or taking the disease with me on my clothes, car, etc. I didn't want anyone else to go through what I did so I did what I had to.

In a couple months I will have a new coop/run and new babies I hatch.

Back
Top Bottom