Bubbles in the eyes?

I am from Canada and I don't know what that (Vetrix) is.... hard to get treatments here. I would prefer to use something natural. Can you describe or tell me what is in it to see if we have something comparable? Little Cochin still seems fair. Still sneezing some, gets the bubbles when she sneezes a bunch.. I suspect that is related to the same reason human eyes water when we have a cold... all connected. She is still eating great. Thinks her surrounding are a bit off.... no one else seems bothered though her sister is missing her!!!!

Rooster Brandon... have you had any luck with your girls? My cochin is still sneezing some and all, but is very alert and active. Currently perched in the shower. I hope they are better.

Still fighting this thing it almost hurt my buff orpington hen her eye was closed for a day but it opened up the next day........But still trying to get them better thanks for all the help.................

If it's helpful to anyone in future:

Bubbles in eyes along with sneezing are VERY LIKELY to be from Coryza. You can do a Search to find posts on this. There are some medicines for treating it listed on the Chicken Medicine Chart on my PoultryPedia.com website.

I know this is an old thread, but I saw some reaction to adding chlorine to the water. I just wanted to mention that city water supplies have either chlorine or chloramine added to the water. For folks with a well, if you ever have the well worked on, it is recommended that you dump chlorine down in your well if it has been opened. Adding 2 cups to a gallon of water then adding small amounts of that to a gallon of water for your birds will not hurt them.

In 2006 I took the Poultry Testing Agent course in MN. They mentioned Hypochlorites (which includes Chlorox) and said 1 gal bleach per 17,500 gal water for sanitation of drinking water and 1 oz bleach per 1 gal water for general cleaning in a hatchery.

One of my buffs had a closed eye also,,,there were bubbles the other day, I manually opened (rubbed the stuff off,,,,,not sure if I should go to tylan or not

Terramycin ointment (~$17) is very good for clearing up eye problems caused by Coryza.

If your bird has a sickly-sweet smell around its head, that would strongly suggest it has Coryza. If it doesn't have that smell, something else is causing the eye problem.

If the chicken has Coryza, you will also need to give some oral antibiotics to clear up the disease throughout its body. Terramycin (oxytetracycline) powder (~$7) for drinking water is often good.

Last edited:
I caught her again today and the eye was closed with crud, I peeled it off so she could see, and there was a nodule above the eye, it is also starting to reach down onto the beak and nostirl area (the crud). I put 2oz of Oxytetracyline powder in the water, and I gave this bird a shot of Tylan, All the birds are sneezing, I am going to section them off and give them a 3 day regimen of Tylan 50,,,,is it .25cc per bird S/C or I/M?,,,,,,,I also added teramycin to the feed.

I am getting worried about these girls, I wish I could let them free range again, but I had to lock them when I lost 1 bird per day for a week then 6 in one evening:eek:,,,,F----in foxes and coyotes

Thank you in advance for anyones help

Joe:cd

Elizaville NY:barnie

Last edited:
go to your vet and ask for baytril! its a wonder drug! antibiotic! we just went through the same thing plus pox! didnt lose anyone!

Back
Top Bottom