Bubbles on eye and sneezing

judevie

Songster
11 Years
Feb 28, 2013
Iowa
I have an easter egger hen that may be sick. Yesterday, it sounded like she screamed, but then I realised she was sneezing. I only heard her do this a few times, but today I noticed her right eye has bubbles on it and looks kind of matted under her eye. I just separated her from the others and put her in an iso crate in the basement. Shes a bit of a panicker so i dont want to keep her separated for long. Does anyone know what she has going on or what i can to do treat and prevent others from getting if its contagious.
Thanks!

I have an easter egger hen that may be sick. Yesterday, it sounded like she screamed, but then I realised she was sneezing. I only heard her do this a few times, but today I noticed her right eye has bubbles on it and looks kind of matted under her eye. I just separated her from the others and put her in an iso crate in the basement. Shes a bit of a panicker so i dont want to keep her separated for long. Does anyone know what she has going on or what i can to do treat and prevent others from getting if its contagious.
Thanks!
can you take her to a vet?

any others showing symptoms?
have you made any changes recently? bedding, feed, etc

can you look in her mouth and see if anything is caught in there?

It sounds like a respiratory infection, maybe mycoplasma (MG) which can cause the eye bubbles. Sneezing can also be a sign of infectious bronchitis. I would give her Tylan 50 injectable (available in the cattle medicines at your feed store,) and give her 1 ml 2-3 times daily for 5 days. The others have already been exposed probably from the same source she has, so I would get her back into the flock as soon as possible. She might chill, so you can keep her warmfor a day or two. Keep her eye cleaned with saline. If it gets gunky, you can apply some Terramycin eye ointment twice a day.

Would it be okay to treat the water with Tylan powder for the flock? I think I heard another one sneezing. I have 11 hens total. Only 2 are laying right now.

It sounds like a respiratory infection, maybe mycoplasma (MG) which can cause the eye bubbles. Sneezing can also be a sign of infectious bronchitis. I would give her Tylan 50 injectable (available in the cattle medicines at your feed store,) and give her 1 ml 2-3 times daily for 5 days. The others have already been exposed probably from the same source she has, so I would get her back into the flock as soon as possible. She might chill, so you can keep her warmfor a day or two. Keep her eye cleaned with saline. If it gets gunky, you can apply some Terramycin eye ointment twice a day.
I treated her water (she's separated right now) . I applied Terramycin ointment to her eye.
I heard another girl sneezing so I decided just to treat the whole flocks water with Tylan powder. Only 2 girls out of the 11 are laying right now.

Back
Top Bottom