bubbly eye

chickenmom1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 29, 2010
I have had two chickens come up with a bubbly eye and one closed. I have cleaned them and treated them with triple antibiotic ointment. What is this and do I need to treat the flock. The antibiotic seems to help and clear it up, but I don't want to contaminate the whole flock.
Thanks,
J

It sounds like a possible respiratory infection since more than one bird is showing symptoms(of course, it may be an eye infection).
I would definitely isolate any of he ones that are showing symptoms in the event it is something contagious.
Most of the respiratory infections can be treated with antibiotics(if they are bacterial), but can cause the birds to be carriers for life.
Do a quick search and you will find TONS of posts on bubbly eye-there have been MANY people that have been dealing with it this winter.
I sure hope things turn out OK for your birds.

Thanks,
I'll work on it. I hate to separate the chickens because it's 9 degrees here right now and only the one coop it heated. Thanks so much.
J

Frankly, I'm not sure-I have no idea what's in Sulmet.
Tylan, Duramyacin, Terramyacin and Auramyacin are recommended for respiratory illnesses.
I think they all come in water soluble form that you just add to their drinking water.

Here is some information on Sulmet. What do you think?

Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5% (Canada)
This page contains information on Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5% for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5% Indications
Warnings and cautions for Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5%
Direction and dosage information for Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5%
Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5%
This treatment applies to the following species:

Beef Cattle
Chickens
Dairy Cattle
Ducks
Sheep
Swine
Turkeys
Veal
Manufacturer: Dominion
Din
Active Ingredient(s)
Sodium sulphamethazine
12.5%

Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5% Indications
Poultry: To control outbreaks of caecal coccidiosis, infectious coryza, and secondary bacterial infections associated with outbreaks of diseases-like CRD caused by organisms susceptible to sulpha drugs.

The product is also used to treat acute fowl cholera and antipestifer disease in ducks.

Cattle, Calves, Sheep and Swine: For the treatment of bacterial infections such as metritis, bacterial enteritis (scours), acute mastitis and acute bacterial respiratory infections.

Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5% Dosage And Administration
Coccidiosis in chickens: Mix 8 mL per litre of water and treat for two (2) days, stop for four (4) days, treat for one (1) day, stop for another four (4) days, and then treat for one (1) more day.

Coccidiosis in turkeys: Mix 20 mL per litre of water and treat for two (2) days. Reduce the dose by one-half (1/2) for the next 7-10 days.

Coryza in chickens: Use the same directions as those for coccidiosis in chickens and treat for two (2) days.

Acute fowl cholera: Mix 8 mL per litre of water for two (2) days.

Beef Cattle and Sheep: Mix 60 mL per litre of water for the first day, then reduce the dose by one-half (1/2) for the next three (3) days.

To administer in feed: Add the correct dose to the amount of feed consumed in two (2) to four (4) hours.

Precaution(s)
Keep the product from freezing.
Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5% Caution(s)
1. Dairy animals drink twice as much water, therefore reduce the dose accordingly.

2. Animals not drinking should be drenched. Medicated water should be the only source of water during treatment.

Warning(s)
1. The product must not be used in swine feeds.

2. Milk taken from treated animals within 96 hours after the latest treatment must not be used in food.

3. Treated animals must not be slaughtered for use in food for at least 10 days (cattle, calves, sheep and swine), or 12 days (poultry) after the last treatment with the drug.

4. If animals do not respond within four (4) days, discontinue treatment and reevaluate the diagnosis.

5. The product must not be used in laying birds.

8/90

Presentation
500 mL bottle.
Nac No.
DOMINION VETERINARY LABORATORIES LTD.
1199 SANFORD STREET, WINNIPEG, MB, R3E 3A1
Telephone: 204-589-7361
Toll-Free: 1-800-465-7122
Fax: 204-943-9612
Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5% information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Canadian product label or package insert.

Ads by Google
Effective Drug Treatment
www.TheRecoveryPlace.net/TreatmentDrug Treatment and Rehabilitation Programs. Call (877) 680-8223

Proactiv
00ae.png
- Official Site
Proactiv.com/SpecialOfferNew Year's Special: Save 50% & Get Free Shipping - Limited Time Only!

Superbugs vs. antibiotics
www.saveantibiotics.orgMisuse of antibiotics breeds drug-resistant diseases

Purina
00ae.png
Poultry Feed
www.purinasunfreshrecipe.comHigh-quality ingredients for great tasting, strong-shelled eggs.

Printable Version | Email | Recommend | Tweet | Save or Share
Search:

The only problem I see there, is that if it is CRD(possible), then it says it treats secondary infections-not sure about the primary infection.

"Poultry: To control outbreaks of caecal coccidiosis, infectious coryza, and secondary bacterial infections associated with outbreaks of diseases-like CRD caused by organisms susceptible to sulpha drugs."

"5. The product must not be used in laying birds."
This would also be a concern for me-I've never used Sulmet(I have some, though) because I have used Corid to treat cocci in chicks instead of the Sulmet.

I think Sulmet is too strong, but then again, I've never used it. I've always used Tylan50 for more serious illnesses. However, if you use Sulmet, you can't eat their eggs for 2 weeks. But I really don't think bubbly eye is a serious illness...just a minor cold. Hopefully someone who has used Sulmet can chime in on this!

Back
Top Bottom