bubbly eyes ....please help :( talked to AG PROF...new pic pg2

here she is today, it is not raining and she has been with another hen for almost 48 hrs and there are still no respiratory issues...

11313_imag0058.jpg

She is very sweet but my checking her thoroughly over, opening her mouth, checking in her lids.....I think she is getting sick of being probed
lol.png

LOTS of things can cause irritated (and therefore bubbly) eyes other than respiratory infections. Dust or particles in the eyes, a scratch to the eye, eye worms, lice/mites.With respiratory illnesses, you will have multiple birds (of those cooped together or in close proximity) come down with the same or similar symptoms to each other. A single bird will not be affected (unless it is caged alone and far from any others).

There are many respiratory illnesses in addition to CRD; there is no reason you should jump onto the Oh My! It's CRD! just because you suspect a respiratory ailment.

Good on you for taking this seriously. Putting a sacrificial bird in with her was a great idea to help keep other birds safe and help diagnose.

I just wanted to second an earlier post that Cornish can get bubbly eyes without anything being wrong. A breeder I know of talks about it a lot.

Good luck!

Erica

I was just gonna say something about how quick some folks are to jump to conclusions about resp illnesses when it could be anything really. klf glad to see your hens eye is back to normal. I have a cochin with a scratch on her eye and it does that same thing when it gets to buggin her. I usually just wipe it off with a clean warm rag and rinse the eye with sterile saline.

I was actually a wreck for 2 days because of all I read on here about crd and being told it must be that....so glad that professor took the time to call us in a timely manner and tell us what to do(or really not do)....and ease our fears. if you see my girl her "normal" pic looks like the way a cornish eyes looks.... that is how she has looked since she matured last year. I love watching her run and she has a special place for us since she survived the coyote attacks that took half my free range flock. I will be putting her back with the "crew" in a day or two, just because she is nice to the hen that gets picked on and she really needs company...thanks for the input everyone.

Back
Top Bottom