Buckeye Breed Discussion!

Buckeyes are the same standard in Canada and U.S., the description in American Poultry Association (APA) Standard of Perfection is for both Countries. (Canadians are included.) Buckeyes are not in the UK nor Europe and ARE NOT known by any other name. It is good NOT to feed any chicken cracked corn. You do not have to feed Buckeyes high protein feed for the first months; however, we find that if you want optimal growth, we recommend that Buckeye chicks get a higher protein starter the first 6-8 weeks of their life (a turkey or quail starter will do) - but you don't have to. The genetics will have to be there anyway. I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

Last edited:
Buckeyes are the same standard in Canada and U.S., the description in American Poultry Association (APA) Standard of Perfection is for both Countries. (Canadians are included.) Buckeyes are not in the UK nor Europe and ARE NOT known by any other name. It is good NOT to feed any chicken cracked corn. You do not have to feed Buckeyes high protein feed for the first months; however, we find that if you want optimal growth, we recommend that Buckeye chicks get a higher protein starter the first 6-8 weeks of their life (a turkey or chick starter will do) - but you don't have to. The genetics will have to be there anyway. I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.
Thank you! :)

I've got 3 buckeye eggs going into lockdown tomorrow.
ya.gif

Oh if only my bantams would go broody...
I've got 9 eggs collected for the next round of incubation so far.
If only mine would stay broody. My Buckeyes didn't go broody yet, but I hope they do. We are about done hatching Buckeyes this year, a dozen are due to hatch in less than two weeks.

If only mine would stay broody. My Buckeyes didn't go broody yet, but I hope they do. We are about done hatching Buckeyes this year, a dozen are due to hatch in less than two weeks.
From what I understand, they rarely go broody. The breeder I bought mine from said they tend to abandon their eggs midway and that they are terrible mothers.
Have you experienced this?

From what I understand, they rarely go broody. The breeder I bought mine from said they tend to abandon their eggs midway and that they are terrible mothers.
Have you experienced this?
No. My bantams are the midway egg abandoners. My Buckeyes are not mothers or broodies at all. :idunno

Hi, reviving this thread!
I've been wanting to add Buckeye genetics to my Naked Neck project for awhile now, and finally ordered some from Hoover. I realize that big hatchery birds are not to SOP, but I don't want them for show anyway. I just want some of the desirable traits I keep reading about to add to my existing flock. The personalities I keep reading about and the dual purpose build as my project is for a dual purpose, sustainable flock. I'm hoping Hoover's BE's aren't too lean, but I can't find any reviews on theirs anywhere. I only ordered from them because they are so cheap, and beggars can't be choosers. So crossing my fingers that at least some of them grow up to be worth using. They are due to be shipped next week, so I'll probably post occasional updates.

Back
Top Bottom