Buckeye Breed Discussion!

Question.
Cracked corn is in scratch. Supposedly scratch has no nutritional value. The buckeye breeder says that she feeds them corn as part of their regular feed. Is corn consumption something that has been bred into buckeyes given their origin?

All Buckeye breeders have their own way of feeding them. You have to give them high protein food at their first months to make them big, or they never will.

Question.
Cracked corn is in scratch. Supposedly scratch has no nutritional value. The buckeye breeder says that she feeds them corn as part of their regular feed. Is corn consumption something that has been bred into buckeyes given their origin?

Scratch has very limited nutritional value. 9% protein compared to layer at 16%, and a multi flock at 18 - 20%. I'm hoping that the breeder who uses corn is balancing her feed. Corn is usually the first item listed on a bag of feed, so... no surprise that the breeder is giving her birds corn, if she is mixing her own feed. Answer to your question: location/origin really has little to do with it.

Question.
Cracked corn is not one of the high protein foods however

Hi! I see that this forum has not been visited in a while, but I wanted to stop by and say hello! I just got my first little group of girls and I am so excited. I am originally from OH, so the Buckeye breed was very appealing. Then I found it also had a lot of the qualities I've been looking for in my hens. I can't believe I actually have the little cuties! It's been something my husband and I have talked about for 2+ yrs now and we finally went for it. Any advise you have for a newbie is greatly appreciated- especially if it is specific to Buckeyes :)

Hi! I'm sort of a newbie myself though. My first hatch of Buckeyes! (They are just sweeties.) I have had one batch hatch after this, and more to come, as well as successful hatches with our eggs with other people.
IMG_20180219_2021581_rewind.jpg
:)
They are very successful little hatchers.

I'm incubating for the first time. 2 out of 5 of the buckeye eggs are coming along. Now, if only they'd lay more often, I'd be all set.
I only have one that fit in the breeding pen and she lays a good amount. Now if only the incubator was bigger... with breeding the other chickens we had to pull her out. We already hatched 10/12 eggs from two hatches (yes, that successful) and we have a dozen more in somebody's cabinet incubator for us, don't know how successful, but if I want to make a risky guess, never mind then I will jinx it. :rolleyes: Plus we have more at home. We started quarantine in mid January so that would should how good she lays. Our first (successful) hatch was of those Buckeyes. Otherwise I have two not to do when incubating stories and broody hen stories. Ok, we hatched Call ducks, but they don't count.

Back
Top Bottom