Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This moring I moved my chicken tractor. One of the 3month old Delaware roosters got out. Four of my Buckeye pullets got him cornered and were just absolutely attacking him. This was no pecking order this was a full attack something like a pitbull on a timid dog. I had the same experiance with my Buckeye young roosters before I got rid of them. Aggresive and overpowering. They never did come after me but would not back up neither. They were hard on my other chickens as well. My Braden Buckeye's however younger then my just laying pullets don't seem to be as aggressive. I guess I don't know what to think of all this. If I'm going to keep my Buckeye's am I going to have to keep them separate from other chickens all the time. Anybody got any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Scott

not to get out of what your talking about but a delware and a rir makes a great mix if you.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Last edited:
Scott,
My one Alpha Buckeye rooster is in a pen with about 20 roosters. They are all the same age, and raised together (Orps, RIRs, Buckeyes) but he is the obvious Alpha. He is a very good rooster, and keeps them all in line, however, he is not mean at all. He greets me at the gate and has never been aggressive.

Now, the girls, I put them all in the Layers Coop ..... They happen to be the lowest on the pecking order. There are 40 girls together, and all the reds (Buckeyes, RIRs, rosecomb RIRs) are low ranking. I see no real aggression in my Layers coop at this time, but have been watching closely.

I have my BE roos all in seperate pens with hens. All of them runup to me when I enter the pen and until this last firday, non had ever shown any aggression to anyone. My wife was feeding and one of the roos decided to fluff up at her and she hit it with the watering can. When she told me about it, I went to the pen to see what the roo would do with me. I had to corner him to get close and then he floggedup at my hand. I caught him by the neck and carried him around the pen a flopping and squaking. When I set him down, he wanted nothing else to do with me. Later My wife and I both went to the pen, she entered the pen and the rooster ran away, but when she turned her back he made a run for her. I went into the pen behind her and the roo tried everyway it could to run out the back side of the fence. He's araid of me, but he had better watch out for my wife temper. He doesnt know it yet, but he's scratching on thin ice, I have an extra roo and I like Sunday chicken dinners. I wont breed an agressive rooster back into my flock.

Quote:
I also am thinking that a Buck/Del would make a great cross for a meat bird and maybe even a egg layer. Don't know but may try it.

Quote:
I also am thinking that a Buck/Del would make a great cross for a meat bird and maybe even a egg layer. Don't know but may try it.

I would try it if I didn't already have too many breeds but I will be crossing my New Hampshires and Dels as a sex link if I knew someone close with a spare Buckeye Roo I'd try it in a heartbeat....

Quote:
Does a Buckeye and a Delaware cross = sex linked chicks?

Sure enough as long as you use Del hens with a red roo like RIR or Buckeyes or New Hampshires if you use it the other way around they'll look like Dels..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom