buckeye lays egg after a year!

buckeye lover

Chirping
Jun 8, 2019
we just took in a rhode island red rooster... after 2 weeks 1 of our 3 buckeyes laid an egg! they are over 4 years old and haven't laid an egg in almost a year. they will be 5 in march. can anyone tell me what's going on? did the rooster make her do that? we never had roosters b4! we are surprised as heck! peace out 2 everyone and happy holidays 2 all*

but they were all virgins until this guy came along! we just found it funny that after all that time somebody laid another egg! don't you think that's odd?

No, it's not too terribly odd. It sounds like an odd coincidence is all, considering what I have already said above: a hen doesn't need to ever see a rooster to lay eggs. She may have decided to lay if she wants to be broody and hatch out fertile eggs, but if you don't see her making a nest and laying multiple eggs then it's just a coincidence.

yup he got all three... 2 were traumatized n spike loved it and follows him around now! the egg is in the fridge* something definitely happened hee hee! peace out~ any idea why spike has little spurs on the back of her legs too?

It's true hens will lay eggs without roosters, but I also highly doubt it was a coincidence. Adding a male to a previously female only grouping (or vice versa) will cause a hormonal disruption in almost all species. In many species, this disruption isn't necessarily evident (at least to human faculties), but suddenly laying an egg is a pretty typical manifestation amongst birds like chickens.

I should add this doesn't mean roosters increase egg production or anything like that - chickens aren't that type of animal!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom