Budgie. Help?

Fanci Feathers Marans

Chicken Tender
Jun 26, 2017
Missouri
There's been a male budgie flying around our farm. No idea where it came from, but he's still fairly tame, as I have been able to get about an arm's reach away from him. I don't want to scare him by grabbing for him and missing, and I know that's not the best approach when catching chickens. I found a net, and I have a sparrow trap, but have yet to try them out.
If I do manage to catch the little monkey, what then? I've never had a bird before, but I think they're really awesome. Kinda like having a tiny chicken in the house. I want to feed him right, and I've read that pellets extend their lifespan quite a bit as opposed to seeds.

How do I catch him?
What foods are best?
How big should his cage be?

I know I'm kind of putting the cart before the horse, but I've kicked around the idea of getting birds before. (kind of the underlying reason for getting chickens) I want to give him a good home. Help?

Last edited:
I always gave my birds seed, millet for a treat, cuttlebone and grit. And a bit of spinach for greens. When i was raising them i also fed them egg biscuit. But you can get pelleted type seed.
The bigger the cage is the more the bird will like it but harder to catch them if you need to. I used to let my first budgie fly around my room. At night her would either get into his cage or he would step up on my finger and i would put him in and cover his cage. Easy birds.

Thanks for the info! Maybe I can get some millet to bait the trap with... still haven't caught him. Am using a counterbalance sparrow trap with some mixed seed inside. None of the birds have gone near it yet, and it's rather frustrating to wait.
I did some research, and found that he's over 4 months old, because his face is solid colored and not barred like a juvi. Also, I think he's the Australian type, which is smaller and has a less-puffy head.

"Any books that I should check out on them? I know they do better if they have more than one, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet," she said before she has even laid hands on the first one.

Also, what might be some good names for him? I think Giblet might be cute, since my chickens are all named after cooking methods like 'Roaster' and 'Broiler.' He might end up being Fancy Feast if I don't get him caught quick enough, though. :lol:

"Any books that I should check out on them? I know they do better if they have more than one, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet," she said before she has even laid hands on the first one.

Also, what might be some good names for him? I think Giblet might be cute, since my chickens are all named after cooking methods like 'Roaster' and 'Broiler.' He might end up being Fancy Feast if I don't get him caught quick enough, though. :lol:
How about the name chase lol

I always gave my birds seed, millet for a treat, cuttlebone and grit. And a bit of spinach for greens. When i was raising them i also fed them egg biscuit. But you can get pelleted type seed.
The bigger the cage is the more the bird will like it but harder to catch them if you need to. I used to let my first budgie fly around my room. At night her would either get into his cage or he would step up on my finger and i would put him in and cover his cage. Easy birds.
I would advise against giving any bird spinach as that depletes there calcium intake causing problems

Good luck in catching him, as they don't last too long in the wild...we offer our fifteen a good quality seed, cuttlebone, young salad leaves, two varieties of parsley, budgie crumbles, egg biscuit, a small amount of hay - they even pull this from a quail's cage next to them, leaves/stems from a celery bunch, small amount carrot, or apple, sprouts...but, under no circumstances do they get given any grit - budgies husk their seed and have no need for grinding their seed...have perches made from natural branches that are from 'budgie safe trees'...a shallow dish of water in the summer will be much appreciated by them, too...
Also, grass seeds...
Cages - they prefer long cages, as opposed to high ones.
Hope this helps...
Our flock have Aboriginal names.

Back
Top Bottom