Budgies in an aviary?

DH and I decided tonight that we are going to build the finch/budgie/button aviary inside the current aviary! We were already planning something in center so not too difficult to wrap it with 1/2 in HWC for the smaller birds!

Just be aware that budgies are bullies and are best kept by themselves, though they should be fine with quail. But you can't even put them with cockatiels in an aviary and certainly don't put them with finches. If you go with finches you'll need 1/4 inch HWC. We have an aviary with cockatiels, doves and bourkes parakeets with quail running around as well. We just love our birds.

Just be aware that budgies are bullies and are best kept by themselves, though they should be fine with quail. But you can't even put them with cockatiels in an aviary and certainly don't put them with finches. If you go with finches you'll need 1/4 inch HWC. We have an aviary with cockatiels, doves and bourkes parakeets with quail running around as well. We just love our birds.

My budgie lives with my cockatiels and princess parrots (and my bourke's parrot up until recently) and he's fine with them. He can be a little bossy but he's never hurt them and loves their company. They are in a large-ish aviary together.

we have completed the design and have the materials to start construction this weekend!! 0D15C024-44CD-44B4-80ED-15C02A46900A.jpeg
this is the pergola that DH and I built next to my koi pond....we are doing an almost exact copy in the center of my current aviary for the smaller birds (finches, budgies, king quail) We plan to let the larger birds that we acquire (cockatiels, conures, and diamond doves) use the current aviary with 1” netting. we have plans to build a room inside adjacent shed that we can move them into for winter. I will be planting the garden and aviary in the next 4-6 weeks and also hatching butterflies!

My budgie lives with my cockatiels and princess parrots (and my bourke's parrot up until recently) and he's fine with them. He can be a little bossy but he's never hurt them and loves their company. They are in a large-ish aviary together.

There's a difference between "budgie" and "budgies" in an aviary. One alone will be so itching to be a part of the flock that some of the aggressiveness will be tempered so as to fit in. Get a group together and they'll bully the rest. Almost five years ago, I found an adult male budgie (now named Monkey Boy) outside, and he's been living with me and my DYH Amazon (Sammy, 29 this year) ever since. He's definitely plucky, and my big boy has learned to mostly to back off when the little guy is getting rambunctious -- but will shoo him away with his foot when things have gone too far. If there were a few more budgies in this house, there'd be no peace.

Right away, Monkey Boy followed Sammy, did what he did, and ate what he ate. That's how he got his name -- Monkey see, Monkey do.

This was from a week after finding him, back in 2015. Sammy wasn't quite so much accepting as he was just tolerating Monkey Boy.

1585515800655.png

1585515845171.png

This is from a couple years ago -- well into acceptance.

1585515633469.png

There's a difference between "budgie" and "budgies" in an aviary. One alone will be so itching to be a part of the flock that some of the aggressiveness will be tempered so as to fit in. Get a group together and they'll bully the rest. Almost five years ago, I found an adult male budgie (now named Monkey Boy) outside, and he's been living with me and my DYH Amazon (Sammy, 29 this year) ever since. He's definitely plucky, and my big boy has learned to mostly to back off when the little guy is getting rambunctious -- but will shoo him away with his foot when things have gone too far. If there were a few more budgies in this house, there'd be no peace.

Right away, Monkey Boy followed Sammy, did what he did, and ate what he ate. That's how he got his name -- Monkey see, Monkey do.

This was from a week after finding him, back in 2015. Sammy wasn't quite so much accepting as he was just tolerating Monkey Boy.

View attachment 2067040

View attachment 2067041

This is from a couple years ago -- well into acceptance.

View attachment 2067034

Its also about individual personalities (or budginalities?), but yes, most budgies are bossy.

Back
Top Bottom