Buff Brahma cockerel or pullet?

Someone told me how to tell a gender with those types of combs. 3 rows is a male and 2 is a female. Not too sure if it’s true or not. I don’t think it is. And maybe a picture of the tail & just before the tail starts?
The row thing isn't true. It's also too young for sex feathers to appear so pictures of the saddle area won't show anything of use. OP, your bird looks to be a pullet ;)

The row thing isn't true. It's also too young for sex feathers to appear so pictures of the saddle area won't show anything of use. OP, your bird looks to be a pullet ;)
Yay! Thank you! At what age WOULD I be able to see saddle feathers in this breed if she did turn out to be a he? One of my same aged leghorns just removed all doubt this morning...he was screaming(cant really call it crowing...it was pretty funny!)...I thought someone was injured until I saw him do the neck stretch thing...I gotta get that on video before it turnes into a regular crow...too funny!

1660610581955.png
At 8 1/2 weeks, does Zelda still look feminine enough that I can exhale? Or is there any chance this is a roo? When can you tell for sure with buff brahmas? I've read it takes a lotlonger than most breeds...do i have to wait longer? I have 3 confirmed(crowing) cockerels...a cream legbar and two leghorns, and they're all growing pretty decent combs...Zelda's is non-existent compared to them! Any BB experts want to weigh in? 😆 thanks! ...anf what signs DO I need to look for in this breed?

View attachment 3224571At 8 1/2 weeks, does Zelda still look feminine enough that I can exhale? Or is there any chance this is a roo? When can you tell for sure with buff brahmas? I've read it takes a lotlonger than most breeds...do i have to wait longer? I have 3 confirmed(crowing) cockerels...a cream legbar and two leghorns, and they're all growing pretty decent combs...Zelda's is non-existent compared to them! Any BB experts want to weigh in? 😆 thanks! ...anf what signs DO I need to look for in this breed?
I say female still! Look for red comb and Male-specific feathering, like saddle and hackle feathers.

We have light brahmas... your buff looks like a girlie girl :thumbsup
One thing we noticed was the Roo cone got pink then red weeks before the girls did. But, they feathered out quicker than he did. Plus.. your baby has what my hubby calls a "rudder" tail... hahaha looks flat when relaxed.. but spreads some when scratching around. Our boy never had that flat pointed tail like yours.
And... I just must comment on the close up ""eye"" pic when you first posted... she is adorable.. looks like she has long EYELASHES ! Teehehe
Hope you enjoy her! Mine have their own little personalities... and likes and dislikes and I enjoy them so much!! When I tell them good morning each day .. one of mine then sings to me!! Only time she makes that little rhythm sound.. when I greet her in the morning!
BEST OF LUCK

Back
Top Bottom