Buff Oprington Chicks and questions

Quailbuddy

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Sonoma County CA
jumpy.gif
Hello, Im not sure if this should go in this section so please tell me if it is not . . .Today I picked up two little Buff Orpington (2 days old) chicks
celebrate.gif
These are My first chicks and I am so excited! I also wanted to get a barred rock and some EE's but they wont have those two breeds in until next week
barnie.gif
But anyway here they are. * Also if I have a few questions:

1) The bigger chick is taking the dominante role between the two, it pecks the other one sometimes but also flaps its wings alot. Also she ( hopefully it is a she) is always the first to investigate anything . . . and she is WAY louder than the other chick . . . What are the sign of a rooster? I know it might be too soon to tell but i am not zoned for roosters
sad.png

2) is this brooder okay? is there anything i need to change to it?

3) My infrared heat lamp is a 250 watt light bulb and i didnt want to burn the little gals, should it be higher or lower?

4) when can i give then goodies?
ETA: When can they go outside? If Is it not windy and warm can they go outside for just like 20 min? I would sit there and watch them . . .
46794_picture_10.png
[/img]
Below the blueish gray thing in the cage is a stuffed animal that they cuddle with . . .
46794_picture_4.png

below is chick #1 . . she is very sweet and kind of shy
46794_picture_18.png

Below is chick #2 ** She/he is very curious and dominate over the other chick
46794_picture_22.png

Last edited:
Still new to chicks, but I'll answer to the best of my abilities. First, your brooder looks fine as long as drafts are not a problem. Also, you may want to keep an eye on the temperature, although the best way to telll if the chicks are comfortable is to observe them. If they are snuggled up tight under the heat lamp, it's probably too cool for them. If they're sprawled out far away from the lamp they may be too hot. They will tell you what they need with their "body language". Second, I have found that there will always be a dominant chick whether there are roos are not. Girls are not too good for the pecking order thing! Good luck with your first chicks! If you are anything like me, you will have many more to come!

Quote:
Okay I will look at how their body language is, but the hard part is right right now and ( actually for a while) they have been running around stealing shavings out of eachothers mouths haha
lau.gif

One more thing... Buff Orpingtons are the best! I have three 2 week olds. Little angels!

So far I agree! They are very sweet
thumbsup.gif

Congrats on your chicks
smile.png
I always kept a thermometer in the brooder, mainly because it made me feel more relaxed knowing that the temp was in the correct zone. Otherwise, observing them is also totally valid.

Mine seemed to trade dominate places in those first few weeks. I would watch and guess and now at 20 weeks, I'm still not sure who's the Big Cheese hen. They are entertaining, that's for sure!

Once again, I'm no expert at this, but if it's warm where you live (90s or above) I see no problem in allowing them a little "recess" time. Just make sure that they are closely supervised and in some sort of inclosure to keep them safe from predators (and to make sure that nobody escapes!).

As far as treats go, I've read on here that you should not feed them MOST treats until they have access to grit. My understanding is that the exceptions are hard boiled eggs ( I know, ironic, right?) and plain yogert. My little ones are not the least bit interested in these two options though.

Quote:
Wow that is ironic haha
tongue.png
hardboiled egg . . . . I would of never thought of that ! I will try those in the morning
smile.png
Thank you for you advice !

You're more than welcome. To make sure about the treats and find other ideas you may want to do a search for "treats" under "raising baby chicks". Have fun with them. They grow up soooooooooooo fast!

Back
Top Bottom