Buff Orpington boy vs girl

pipsypeach

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 23, 2012
Hello everyone! I need help!!! We have 2 Spotted Sussex and 2 Buff Orpingtons. Last night "Snowflake" one of the Sussex didn't "come home." We couldn't find her. We called for her and looked all around our yard for her. She "came home" this morning and was acting like nothing had happened. My sons found her behind the trash cans sitting on eggs. I can see 1 for sure but I haven't moved her to see if there are anymore under her. I am now starting to question whether or not "Henny Penny" (buff) is a boy or girl. We know for a fact that Goldie (other buff) is laying. My sons have seen her go into the coop and they go in and get her egg after she comes out. Henny Penny is more aggressive, protective and darker. Yesterday when I was holding Goldie, Henny Penny circled me the whole time until I put her down. I could be seeing things but I need opinions on what everyone thinks. I will attach some pictures here. I have not heard crowing either. Exact age is hard to tell. We got them around May I think. They just started laying about 2 weeks ago. Thank you!!
Nichole
Henny Penny is on the left in both pics.

Henny's foot above, Goldies foot below.

Henny Penny looks like a pullet.
smile.png

Thank you so much Wyandottes7!!! The friend I got them from said they were all pullets but I was starting to doubt!!! This is our first go around with chickens. :)

I agree pullet, my BO roo was a beautiful bird and very much distinct from the hens with beautiful tail feathers and much larger than the females. They all have different personalities, my BO roo was nicer than some of my pullets

Thank you everyone!!! We found out where Snowflake was hiding. She had 16 eggs tucked up under her!!!! Can you believe that!!! :)

Those BO hens are broody things. I love my BOs though. My BO hens would go broody even without a rooster every once in a while. Just make sure to keep taking the eggs so she snaps out of it :)

Back
Top Bottom