Buff orpington chick age?

ChickieLisa

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
So I got 4 chicks from the feed store and 1 is a buff orpington. It seems a bit slower with growing its feathers compared to the other 2 that I thought were around the same age.. I was thinking they were around the same age but now I'm not sure
hmm.png

It has been almost 3 weeks since I got it from the feed store in these pictures. Is it just slower than the others in developing its feathers? The others already have their tail feathers growing in and partially on their backs now. Sorry you can probably tell I am new to owning chickens..

I am new to the game of chickens but is it possible that it could be a roo? I think many have said that roos feather slower. Our buff's feathered out pretty fast last year. Do you have a picture of this one compared to the others you bought?

I hope that it's not a roo
sad.png
Roosters are not allowed where I live...

This is the Rhode Island Red

This is the Americauna

And I was hoping for a Buff Orpington pullet...
sad.png

I thought it was just slower than the other breed of chickens because I read it was a heavier breed?

Last edited:
are any of them aggressive at all ??? its not all true that a roosters feathers grow slower i had 7 australorps and 4 of them were roosters just one of them was a little bit slower but i am pretty sure he was younger and now i have none of those rooster sold 3 and the 4 died after he got big and crowing he was killed by something heavy falling on him and breaking his neck i feel bad that was my little baby but you never know with birds their all different

Nope they are pretty normal for chicks
hmm.png
They become a bit skittish when I try and pick them up but they were never aggressive.

I wouldn't really worry too much about it. farmerboy has a point. All chicks feather out at different rates. As I think back to my girls when they were feathering out I don't think they looked a while lot different at three weeks than yours does. From your original post I thought that you had other Buffs. I hope it is not a roo because honestly I love our buffs. They are the sweetest most fun chickens.

i have a chick once it was 4 weeks old he was fully feathered and how he/she is getting big and is full of feathers it can fly up into their cage fine and everything he/she is around 2 months now

Yeah I probably should have been more specific. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it's a roo or pullet.. Thanks for all your input guys :)

Back
Top Bottom