Buff Orpington has never laid an egg

wrtbbm

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
Texas
We got 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Delaware and 1 Buff Orpington pullet in Fall 2019. The Easter Eggers and the Delaware started laying around April while the Buff Orpington has sat in the nesting box occasionally but never laid. They all get layer feed, fruits, yoghurt and mealworm treats. I am wondering if she will ever lay or will be a free loader for the rest of her life? Has anyone else had a chicken that never laid?

Because I know. I only have six hens. I’ve used a cam to see who lays what. She’s never ever laid. Never went in a nesting box. Never a questionable egg. My husband also felt inside her vent a couple times and never an egg.
With 6 hens and that much watching, you're probably right.
Feeling inside the vent won't help much. You won't find an egg that way unless it is just about ready to be laid.

But I asked because you said you got her and 9 other breeds, and if you had 10+ hens you might not be able to tell for sure. And I've seen other posts about hens that "never" laid but they really were laying. (The most obvious ones usually involve Easter Eggers: someone is not getting any green eggs, because their EE lays brown just like the rest of the flock. Or sometimes there's a hidden nest.)

If she's that old, and the others have been laying for a while but she has not, it is quite likely she never will lay.

I have a black majesty marans? i think? I got her, and 9 other breeds from Rural King at the end of January, 2021. They are currently about 14 months old, and she still has never laid anything. She's never been sick, none of them really have, she acts normal, skittish, but healthy. I am wondering if she will ever lay. I'm wondering if I should get her an ultrasound or something to see if there's anything happening inside? I don't know what else to do, other than put her in a crock pot, or sell her. Our rooster even mounted her and seemed to "fertilize" her... so I'm at a total loss now, What's going on!?!?
14 months but acting normal and healthy = she's a dud. If eggs are your priority you can eat her or rehome her strictly as a pet.

Yes I’m down to six hens from the 10. Bobcat and raccoons. I put a cam when they started laying to see who laid what egg and I was definitely surprised with who laid what. Glad I did that. I’ve put the cam a few times after that throughout the year to check up on them. This one hen has never laid. It’s weird too since I’ve seen the rooster mount her. I thought oh maybe now? But nothing still.

Yes I’m down to six hens from the 10. Bobcat and raccoons. I put a cam when they started laying to see who laid what egg and I was definitely surprised with who laid what. Glad I did that. I’ve put the cam a few times after that throughout the year to check up on them. This one hen has never laid. It’s weird too since I’ve seen the rooster mount her. I thought oh maybe now? But nothing still.
You could always smear lipstick or paste food coloring in her vent to be sure. I've read of this being done.

Back
Top Bottom