Buff Orpington needs help!

MOMof3Noltes

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2017
Beatrice, NE
We got some chicks about a month ago. A few days ago, one of our Buff orpington chicks started stumbling forward and now isn't standing on her own (I thinks it's a female so we are just going with that). Not sure what is wrong but don't think it's Marek's. She flops over to one side and tries to right herself but isn't able to figure it out. I saw where someone made a "sling" from an old pair of panty hose and rigged her up so she is dangling but still puttin some weight on her feet. She eats and drinks great, peeps happily and likes to cuddle. I'm new to chicks and "growing" them so any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes, she is separated. I stopped at Orschlen'Orschlen's and got Chick Boost Probiotic and mixed up the batch according to the directions and have been giving it to her

I'm still really confused about what is wrong with my chick. She eats and drinks great, stool looks extremely normal. I don't think it's Marek's because she doesn't have any kind of a paralysis in her legs. I had her outside in the grass for a little while the other day and was in her sling and she was moving her legs like they should go to walk. She sometimes curls her toes up under her when she moves her feet. When I have her out of the sling and sitting with me (I do this so she doesn't get lonely), she tries to crawl up my shirt to get under my chin and sit and fall asleep. When I hold her, she seems to keep her balance while sitting, but then tries to "get up" and just falls forward and pretty much face plants. Her legs also shake at times when she is in her sling but not sure if she is scared or if there is just something else going on. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and will "purr" when she is sitting with me. She just can't seems to stand up and/or keep her balance. Any other suggestions????

I'm still really confused about what is wrong with my chick. She eats and drinks great, stool looks extremely normal. I don't think it's Marek's because she doesn't have any kind of a paralysis in her legs. I had her outside in the grass for a little while the other day and was in her sling and she was moving her legs like they should go to walk. She sometimes curls her toes up under her when she moves her feet. When I have her out of the sling and sitting with me (I do this so she doesn't get lonely), she tries to crawl up my shirt to get under my chin and sit and fall asleep. When I hold her, she seems to keep her balance while sitting, but then tries to "get up" and just falls forward and pretty much face plants. Her legs also shake at times when she is in her sling but not sure if she is scared or if there is just something else going on. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and will "purr" when she is sitting with me. She just can't seems to stand up and/or keep her balance. Any other suggestions????
Curling of the Foot usually means a vitamin b deficiency.Adding Brewers yeast to her food will help if not cure.One tablespoon per pound of food will work.

Curled toes can be a vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency. Other vitamin deficiencies can cause imbalance issues, among other things.
I'd try vitamin supplementing for a while and see if you get any improvement.
There are lots of brands of poultry vitamins, you can also use poly-vi-sol (baby vitamins) without iron.
http://www.tillysnest.com/2014/03/vitamin-deficiencies-in-backyard-chicks-html/

Ran all over town and ended up at the pharmacy to get Poly-vi-sol without iron. Came home and my girl was actually sitting upright all on her own! Gave her a couple drops of vits so we will see. Hope things are looking up! I am new to Buff Orpingtons but this girl has been so sweet!

Ran all over town and ended up at the pharmacy to get Poly-vi-sol without iron. Came home and my girl was actually sitting upright all on her own! Gave her a couple drops of vits so we will see. Hope things are looking up! I am new to Buff Orpingtons but this girl has been so sweet!
Great! Keep us updated!

Update - I have been giving the chick the poly-vi-solution (no iron) and it is still not getting any better. It's toes still curl sometimes and the legs just shake like it's scared. She still eats and drinks heartily. But, she also has not grown much and doesn't have any of her body feathers either. She will sometimes seem to get this mass on her right breast area, but then it will go away. I really don't know what else to do for her so any help would really be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom